cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amber_L
Helper III
Helper III

how to update item in list based off responders email on forms via another sharepoint list

Hey guys,

Pretty tricky to think of a subject for this post but hopefully its close enough.

I have created a form on Microsoft forms and I have a flow that will populate a sharepoint list based on the responses.

Now, one of the columns in my sharepoint list is a choice field. I want this field to be populated based on the responders email.

The tricky part is I need to get the responders email, check for their email in another seperate sharepoint list and then send back the value to place in the choice field of my first list. I have an image below to hopefully explain a little better:

Amber_L_0-1626830092244.png

Is this something that is possible within flow?

I currently have 'Get Items' with filter = Choice eq 'Responders Email'

but when I go to add in the value into my choice field in list 1, I can only select the ID from list 1, not the Title field.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Amber_L ,

Here is the process:

1. As the flow in my first reply, we have get the Title Value in list2(list item which Email=responders email). For example, create a String variable called "TitleValue"=First(body('Filter_array'))?['Title'].

2. Use above Variable to find the matched list item from list 3 which list3.Choice.Value=TitleValue.

This time we can get the matched list item from list3. 

3. As the flow in my second reply, get the ID column value of above record, then use this variable to create list item.

Best regards,

Allen 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-albai-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Amber_L ,

Does your Choice column allow multiple selections?

Have you enabled below setting of your Choice column?

valbaimsft_0-1626853596289.png

If this column does not allow multiple selections and also it allows add value manually, you can  use a variable to keep the Title value of filtered record, and then create/update list item in the first list and set Choice column to this variable.

You can refer to my flow.

1. Get Responders Email:

valbaimsft_1-1626853596293.png

1. Create a blank variable called “ChoiceValue”, then filter records from the second list whose “Email=responders email”:

valbaimsft_2-1626853596299.png

1. Since we have get the correct record from the second list, set variable “ChoiceValue” to the this record’s Title column. And then create a new list item in the first list using this variable:
First(body('Filter_array'))?['Title']

valbaimsft_3-1626853596307.png

See my result:

valbaimsft_4-1626853596308.png

valbaimsft_5-1626853596309.png

Best regards,

Allen

Hey Thanks for your help!

I have actually just realised my choice column is actually a lookup column, is this still possible?

I have followed your steps however once I get to Create Item, I cant actually select the variable, it isn't an option.

Hi @Amber_L ,

You need to do a little changes of the variable(change its type and set to another value).

See my example, the lookup column in the first list called "Lookup1" and gets Title value from the second list:

valbaimsft_0-1626918299378.png

Create a Integer type variable instead of a String type variable:

valbaimsft_1-1626918299381.png

In “Set variable” action, use this:

int(First(body('Filter_array'))?['ID'])

valbaimsft_2-1626918299383.png

Then create a new list item using this variable:

valbaimsft_3-1626918299386.png

See result:

valbaimsft_4-1626918299386.png

Best regards,

Allen

Apologies, I think there is still some confusion. My lookup column is actually referencing a third list. I've added to my image explanation to ellaborate more

Amber_L_0-1626919063646.png

so my sharepoint list 1 will pick the lookup value based on the value that is pulled from sharepoint list 2, hopefully this makes a little more sense

Hi @Amber_L ,

Here is the process:

1. As the flow in my first reply, we have get the Title Value in list2(list item which Email=responders email). For example, create a String variable called "TitleValue"=First(body('Filter_array'))?['Title'].

2. Use above Variable to find the matched list item from list 3 which list3.Choice.Value=TitleValue.

This time we can get the matched list item from list3. 

3. As the flow in my second reply, get the ID column value of above record, then use this variable to create list item.

Best regards,

Allen 

Oh perfect thank you! I have managed to get that working now! Thanks heaps for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (2,011)