cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

http request failing for one field

I've been trying to get the http request working for about 5 hours now so it's time to ask for help again.

I get a basic query working fine:

api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Id

but when I add the field I'm really interested in grabbing (Employee):

api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Id,Employee/Value

my query fails with the error:

{"odata.error":{"code":"-1, Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException","message":{"lang":"en-US","value":"The query to field 'Employee' is not valid. The $select query string must specify the target fields and the $expand query string must contains Employee."}}}

I have been trying to follow the guidance here:

https://www.chakkaradeep.com/2018/05/14/select-and-filter-sharepoint-list-items-by-lookup-fields-usi...

and it works for the Employment Status field but not the Employee field.

This is what a subset of my data looks like:

array (
0 => 
array (
'@odata.etag' => '"14"',
'ItemInternalId' => '1',
'ID' => 1,
'Title' => 'Test McPerson',
'Employee' => 
array (
'@odata.type' => '#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference',
'Id' => 2,
'Value' => 'Test McPerson',
),
'Employee#Id' => 2,
'Employment_x0020_Status' => 
array (
'@odata.type' => '#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference',
'Id' => 0,
'Value' => 'Current',
),
'Employment_x0020_Status#Id' => 0,
),

I don't understand why I can return data from the Employment_x0020_Status/Value field but when I try to include the Employee/Value field I get the error. They appear, to me, to be structured the same.

I realise my data sample shows Title as having the same data, in this instance, as Employee/Value but that is not always the case. I need to grab Employee/Value.

I have checked the name of the Employee field by browsing to its settings and it appears to be called Employee:

From the browser url:

2020_12_16_22_22_28_Edit_your_flow_Power_Automate_Brave.png

This is a picture of my flow element:

2020_12_16_23_23_57_Edit_your_flow_Power_Automate_Brave.png

I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance as to why it might be failing. Once I have data from that field coming in I will be wanting to filter by it.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hello @KarlinOz , please try any one below URLs and see if it works or not

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Id,Employee/Title&$expand=Employment_x0020_Status,Employee

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Id,Employee/Value&$expand=Employment_x0020_Status,Employee

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

@annajhaveri you gave me a good lead so I am going to mark yours as the solution.

What ended up working was:

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Id,Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Employee/Full_x0020_Name&$expand=Employee

because what I didn't realise is the field Employee in my list is a lookup field to a parent list. The parent field is called 

Full Name

so I had to reference that. And with your syntax it all finally came together. Thank you for your guidance.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hello,

What is the data type of the Employee Field, is it a lookup field?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @annajhaveri , yes it is a lookup field

Hello @KarlinOz , please try any one below URLs and see if it works or not

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Id,Employee/Title&$expand=Employment_x0020_Status,Employee

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Id,Employee/Value&$expand=Employment_x0020_Status,Employee

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Hi @annajhaveri , thanks for the guidance.

Your proposed solution 

gets a resonse:

The field or property 'Employment_x0020_Status' does not exist.

and the other one;

gets

The query to field 'Employee/Value' is not valid.

@annajhaveri you gave me a good lead so I am going to mark yours as the solution.

What ended up working was:

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('LST Training Register')/items?$select=Id,Employment_x0020_Status/Value,Employee/Full_x0020_Name&$expand=Employee

because what I didn't realise is the field Employee in my list is a lookup field to a parent list. The parent field is called 

Full Name

so I had to reference that. And with your syntax it all finally came together. Thank you for your guidance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (25,011)