cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaWi
Level: Powered On

list and library for email

Hi all,

i try to build a kind of a ticket system for a shared e-mail postbox. So far so good. I store incoming e-mails in a library to catch attachments and the full history and in parralel i build a list in sharepoint to have an easier overview. a second list is built to arrange things like priority, status, responsibility..... (organisation)

my problem is...

the list as well as the email storage gets flooded with RE: and FW: messages on the same topic. Is there a way to keep this messages in my list and my lib somehow together? So can i check if a the mail is coming is a RE. or FW: and somehow link it to the existing list item or element in the lib?

Hope you got my question. 

Happy for any suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: list and library for email

Hi @MaWi, there is a property on the email called ConversationID. This is what Outlook uses to group together your emails into a conversation thread. If you also stored this property in SharePoint, you could then apply grouping in your list to keep all of your emails and attachments together.

Conversation ID.PNG

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

MaWi

This sounds good,

any suggestion how I could use this in my scenario?

So when a new e-mail is coming on the same topic (just with RE. FW: or whatever) I can use this ConvID to check against all my existing entries? This might get slow after a while, or?

Super User
Super User

No need to check as you can just use SharePoint list views to Group the conversation IDs together. So each time the email comes in, just insert it into your list with the conversation ID populated (just take it from the incoming email each time).

Log Email.PNG

If you're using Modern SharePoint, you can use the group by from the column options:

Group By  Before.PNG

It's not pretty but it will group all the messages in that conversation together then.

Group by After.PNG

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
MaWi

yes you are fully right...looks **bleep**ty but seem to work.

Only thing I have to overcome now...

Normally I create a new list item in my casestatus list for each line added to this email list. I could now reduce this by just adding a new list item to casestatus if it has a new conversationID...is this doable?

Super User
Super User

Yes, absolutely. You could check your list to see if the Conversation ID already exists, and if not then you create your new case.

There are two ways of checking if something already exists:

Option 1 - User the Filter Array

• Use the Get Items action to get the full list of messages from SharePoint
  • Add a Filter Array action to filter the list items down only to the conversation ID you're interested in
  • Use a condition to check if the length of the array is 0
  • If it's 0, create a new case. If it's not 0, do something else

Filter Array Method.PNG

Option 2 - Use Filter Queries and check for results

The option I prefer is use Filter queries to only retrieve list items that match, and then use that within my length condtion.

• Use the Get Items action, however specify the Filter query to retrieve only items where the Conversation ID matches that of the email
  • Use a condition to check the length of the results from Get Items
  • If it's 0, create a new case. If it's not 0, do something else

Get Items Method.PNG

I personally prefer option 2 because it's more efficient and has less actions within the Flow, however people tend to shy away from  it because of the filter query aspect.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,136)