cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

"For Selected File" - Broken!! I've had to resort to "For Selected Item"

As the subject suggests, I've had to use 'For Selected Item' and enter a custom value for a document library to get a Flow to work. Why is this? I thought SharePoint 'Item' was purely for lists, and SharePoint 'File' was purely for document libraries.

Is 'For Selected File' broken since the update applied for the 'Condition' update?

This has caused me some massive frustration and time lost trying everything I can think of to get this working when previous flows were working absolutely fine. I'd even resorted to saving a previous Flow with a new name to see if I could get it working that way - but nope!

Annoyed.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for your experience, could you share a screenshot of Flow configuration and the details of the current issue?

You could create a Flow with For a selected file as a trigger in the following two ways.

• Use this template to create  Flow, configure the relevant Site Address and Library Name, and then test. Note that you need to create such a Flow in the default environment, it will be displayed in Flow option of SharePoint Library.
  • In addition, you could also configure Flow by clicking Flow-Create a flow in SharePoint Library and then selecting the template with For a selected file as the trigger. It is recommended to use "Complete a custom action for the selected file".

Image reference:

5.PNG

Also, please pay attention to the recent Microsoft Flow Blog. Recently, many features have come one after another. If you are inconvenienced with your existing Flow, please let us know and we will provide the appropriate workaround as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-bacao-msft 

Thanks for the response back - very helpful. The options to create from a template are useful, but I seem to recall previous experiences of using a template had legacy actions within them, so I've always always created a Flow from blank so far, only ever using the templates to get an idea/insight into how they are done.

Anyway - here is an example of a previous trigger that was available in a Flow that is saved to take action 'For a seleted file':

ForASelectedFile.png

Creating a new Flow from blank, what was there yesterday, is no longer there today - the trigger 'For a selected file' for a SharePoint trigger is not there in my tenancy:

SharePointTriggers.png

I am in my default environment so far as I am aware, I have never changed this at all, ever! So it seems some fun and games are afoot I think!?

Can you explain why the trigger would be there one day, and not another?

Thanks for the blog link, but it's unrealistic for me to stay on top of that when I'm the only experienced administrator in the organisation for many products across the whole of Office365. I'll do my best to review notices in instances such as this however.

Thanks,

Jason.

Hi @Anonymous ,

The list of triggers on my side does not contain For a selected file.

It seems to have been out of this list long time ago. I use For a selected file on my side to search directly from the template.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, there is currently no relevant documentation explaining why the trigger was removed from this list.

But you could still use this trigger in the two ways I provide.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,534)