cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ts_ericjlitt
Regular Visitor

"List rows present in table" with startswith or contains filter - can't figure out syntax

When I use "eq" in the Filter Query, it returns one line like it should:

Number eq '29080'

But I'm having trouble figuring out what the respective syntax would be with contains or startsWith (either will do). I've tried this and it fails:

Number startswith '29080'

And if I try this it returns nothing:

startsWith(Number, '29080')

Anyone know what my syntax should be?

ts_ericjlitt_0-1602793305791.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ts_ericjlitt 

Hi there.  So, your syntax on the last one is correct, here is a handy reference:

Every Power Automate (MS Flow) Filter Query You Ever Wanted To Know As A Functional Consultant

I'm wondering if it's returning nothing with that one because of a type conversion or something.  Try making the number less specific: startsWith(Number, '2')

And if that still returns nothing, try it without the single quotes.  Those usually indicate a string, so if the field is numeric, it may not recognize that.

Keep us posted.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@ts_ericjlitt 

Hi there.  So, your syntax on the last one is correct, here is a handy reference:

Every Power Automate (MS Flow) Filter Query You Ever Wanted To Know As A Functional Consultant

I'm wondering if it's returning nothing with that one because of a type conversion or something.  Try making the number less specific: startsWith(Number, '2')

And if that still returns nothing, try it without the single quotes.  Those usually indicate a string, so if the field is numeric, it may not recognize that.

Keep us posted.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

Hi @edgonzales , I think you are right it was a type conversion issue. I ended up nesting my eq, which only matched the ints (29080), with my startswith, which only matched the strings (29080A, 29080B). Between those two expressions I have the total number of matches. Seems like unintended behavior but at least I have a workaround.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,553)