cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Start an approval for new file to move it to a different folder" flow doesn't take the metadata

I'm using the "Start an approval for new file to move it to a different folder and metadata" however when the approved file is moved it doesn't take the meta data associated to the file, how can this be achieved?

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you mean the following template?

Start an approval for new file to move it to a different folder

"however when the approved file is moved it doesn't take the meta data associated to the file, "

Could you please explain a bit for the meta data you mentioned here, do you mean the additional columns added for the Library item?

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Michael,

Apologies for the lack of detail.

I have two folders "Awaitng Approval" & "Issued Information", both folders have custom columns added for revision and document type and OOTB columns for Title, Modified & Modified By. I drop the files into the "Awaiting Aprroval" which starts the flow, add the meta data for the columns listed above. Upon approval the documents are moved into the "Issued for Information" folder but not the meta data associated with them.

My problems are:-

1. Is there a way i can add the meta data prior to the flow starting
  2. Can i set it up so the meta data moves with the file

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Anonymous,

Actually the file content and the file meta data you mentioned are stored in different data structure.

The Meta data for the file in the library is stored in a List-like structure, we need to take use of the Get Item (or get file properties) Action to work with the corresponding MetaData, which would require the corresponding item ID.

While when working with the File content, we need the File Identifier, which is different from the item ID.

The additional columns added under the Library list would require user to pre-define the column, so a possible workaorund here should be:

1. Add columns for additional meta data in the target Library,

2. Use Get files (properties only), then filter for the special file, after that, loop through the target library to update the corresponding column field.

Step 2 would require some additional configuration steps, as nested Apply to each is not supported under Microsoft Flow, we need to take some additional steps to workaround that.

Post back if you would like to implement this, I will then share a guiding step here.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Michael,

I'm not sure i fully understand the proposed solution if you can provide the step by step that wouldbe great.

FYI, the two folders are both in the same library so do share the same columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,931)