cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viewfile
Advocate II
Advocate II

"channel_not_found" error when trying to join a public Slack channel from Flow

We have a simple Flow that posts to a Slack channel.  This works fine if the user running the Flow is already a member of the Slack channel.  If they aren't a member then we get a "not_in_channel" error when the "Post message" action runs.

To try and fix this I added a "Join Public Channel" action before the post action.

However, when this action runs we get a "channel_not_found" error:

Screenshot 2020-10-19 114731.png

The channel exists as the post action works using the same channel name.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

We have a lot of Slack channels, so I'm thinking it may only be searching the first 100 Slack channels and as the channel that is being joined is a new one, it's not found.  To try and prove this, I've created another Flow that uses the get public channels action and writes this array to a csv and this only seems to retrieve 100 channels.

Any help/work-arounds gratefully received,

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi viewfile, 

Please, instead of use the name of the channel, check the url of the channel that you want to use:

This is an example:

https://app.slack.com/client/T01CH7G95/C01CXK44LLV/details/top

Take the last numbers and configure it in the custom value.

FCGALLEG_0-1603274617142.png

I hope it helps you.

Javier

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FCGALLEG
Community Support
Community Support

Hi viewfile, 

How do you have configured the action Join a public channel? are you using a variable?

FCGALLEG_0-1603271544090.png

Thanks,

JAvier

Hi, the channel I want to join was not listed, so I selected the "Enter Custom Value" option at the bottom of the list and manually typed in the name of the channel - I didn't use a variable.

Hi viewfile, 

Please, instead of use the name of the channel, check the url of the channel that you want to use:

This is an example:

https://app.slack.com/client/T01CH7G95/C01CXK44LLV/details/top

Take the last numbers and configure it in the custom value.

FCGALLEG_0-1603274617142.png

I hope it helps you.

Javier

Yes!  Thank-you, that's worked.  So passing in the Channel ID, not the Channel Name works.

When I test the Flow now, I see the Action completes as follows:

Screenshot 2020-10-21 111144.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (1,738)