cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

receiving specific information under a specific title from an email attachment and putting into a excel doc or onenote

Hi All, 

I was wondering if it was possible to set up a flow that can do the following scenario.

I receive an email from a particular email address, which has an attachment (always the same email and contains 3 same words in the attachment. On this attachment it contains a persons name, for example Name: Joe Bloggs. I want to pull the name and put it either into an excel document or something similar like a work or one-note doc? Preferably a excel tho! 

This would make my life soooooo much easier if this is possible, thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: receiving specific information under a specific title from an email attachment and putting into a excel doc or onenote

Hi @AB21,

Sure, please refer to the following instance:

split(split(outputs('Compose'),'Name: ')[1],'.')[0]

Use "Name: " as separator to get the name, then use "." as separator to remove additional info.

Annotation 2020-07-16 180537.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: receiving specific information under a specific title from an email attachment and putting into a excel doc or onenote

Hi @AB21,

It's possible to get the attachment file if the file contains 3 same words.

You could use the split() function to convert a string by a keyword, for example:

split('Name: Joe Bloggs.', 'Name: ')

The output will be an array:

[

"",

"Joe Bloggs."

]

Then use the index "1" could get the name "Joe Bloggs".

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks @v-litu-msft

Can you please send me some screenshots as I'm pretty novice! 

With the name it'll be different every time the attachment comes in So Joe Bloggs then say Tom Smith. 

The only variable from inside the attachment will be "name:" that thats what I want to pull out from within the attachment. So this time it'll be Joe then next say it is Tom 

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AB21,

Sure, please refer to the following instance:

split(split(outputs('Compose'),'Name: ')[1],'.')[0]

Use "Name: " as separator to get the name, then use "." as separator to remove additional info.

Annotation 2020-07-16 180537.jpg

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Thank you! @v-litu-msft 

How would I start the flow? get email? 

and how would it end with the Name: going into a file ie excel or somewhere? 

Just so your aware the attachment on the email will be a PDF formate does this change whether we can pull out the "Name: " from within the PDF? 

Thanks for the reply

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AB21,

If your desire is to monitor the arrived email, you could create a trigger that When an email arrived.

Then use the Get PDF Text Layer action of Encodian connector to extract plant text from the attachment.Annotation 2020-07-20 172840.jpg

Then using the method I posted in previous reply to get the name to put it into the target Excel file.

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @v-litu-msft ,

I will give this ago, last this what would be the export to excel part? Like what triggers? 

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AB1,

Add a row into a table action could help you store the data extracted into the Excel file:Annotation 2020-07-22 174432.jpg

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @v-litu-msft 

Thanks for this! when I users the GET PDF TEXT LAYER I get these options 

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 4.00.35 PM.png

Nothing like in your screenshot? 

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

August 2020 CYST Winners!

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,590)