Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gosubtle
Level: Powered On

recurrence

Greetings everyone,

I am trying to get recurrence to work on my workflow.  I looked at the following:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/StartTime-in-Recurrence/m-p/1135/highlight/true#M...

And that fails to validate properly now (even using the EXACT text used in the example).

The only format I am able to get to work is UTC format with something like:

2017-04-30T15:00:00Z

Of course once you specify UTC it will ignore any Time Zone automatically.  This is behavior I understand and accept.

If I wanted to say have the workflow start for the first time (or preferrably every day) at 8AM CST (regardless of whether it's daylights savings), what would the format be if I selected CST for the time zone?  I tried various things but using an offset -07:00 doesn't work via validation and isn't DST proof either.

As a secondary question, as many have stressed how limited the scheduling is for flows (yes I realize it's in preview), is there any documentations on how to kick a flow off from the Azure scheduler?  This would likely allow much better scheduling and such and give more time to the flow team to complete such features while letting us flow people schedule with complexity.

Thanks in advance for the help!

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: recurrence

Hi @gosubtle,

The format under the Start Time field should always be in 

2017-04-30T15:00:00Z

yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ssZ

format.

If you have specified the time zone, then the Start time should be the time in the time zone you have specified, there is no need to add offset.

For your second question, I am not sure I understand it clearly.

If Recurrence is not suitable for your scenario, you may consider take use of the other triggers, such as Email arrives, or event creation, making the other trigger in a schedule should also be a proper way to schedule Flow running.

For Example, we have an email send to some special address automatically every time, then we could build flow based on this Email arrival, then trigger the following actions.

If you have any further questions, or if I have any misunderstandings, please post back.

Run flows on a schedule

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
gosubtle

Michael,

First, thanks for your fast response to this post.  Let's for the moment ignore the second question and other options outside of MS Flow and only approach the formatting issue in my initial question.  I can always create a new thread in the correct place.  Also be aware that I have developed in the MS stack for decades but I want to provide solutions to customers that they can configure themselves for better value to them.

Unfortunately your response for this question is not sufficient.  If there are not any other formats allowed besides what you posted, then there is either a bug or the time zone field should be hidden or removed as it has no purpose.  Let me explain by an example workflow I used for testing (it simply does nothing but send a fake test email currently):

The particular run information for this workflow is:

Recurrence Trigger Settings - 

Frequency: Day

Interval: 1 [I'm expecting this to run this workflow every day starting from the start time unless its in the past]

StartTime: 2017-04-29T01:50:00Z

TimeZone: Central Standard Time

Run information - 

This flow was activated on April 30th at 4:00PM, therefore missing the first run date because it had passed.

The flow RAN on 04/30/2017 8:50PM Central Time (i may be off an hour on this).

The issue - 

Based on the information and when it ran, it's clear the start time was taken only in UTC context and the Central Standard Time was ignored completely.  If you look into official formatting of datetime fields, it becomes evident why.  Whenever you append Z to the date time, it AUTOMATICALLY makes it Universal Coordinated Time (UTC).  Now that behavior as I mentioned before is understandable (if you are specifying UTC directly within the formate it should ignore everything else), but without allowing any other format, the way the trigger is developed, there is no point to ever having a time zone field in it.

So the main question maybe is better asked: 

Why have Time Zone as a field in Recurrence when only UTC date/times are allowed and the Time Zone is ignored.

And/Or

Why aren't other formats allowed anymore (they were as mentioned in the link above) that are relative to the Time Zone field?

Thanks again and hopefully this clarifies things!

gosubtle

Can any MSFT people respond to my last post before this one?  Even, we are aware of the issues and we are getting a new feature to replace things is fine.  Or it's a known bug etc.

Thanks.

Tamras
Level 10

I'd like to know too please.  I'm experiencing the same thing.

My recurrence is set to 5AM PST, every 24 hours:
2017-05-09_0932.png

2017-05-09_0934.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @gosubtle and @Tamras,

Apologize for the late response.

Yes, the format is in UTC format, and this is a known issue.

For the TimeZone, I will forward that and see if there are any changes could be made.

I will let you know once I have any response back on this.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Microsoft Employee

I am seeing the same issue. TimeZone seems to be ignored. 

Super User
Super User

Facing similar issue with utc - it in not allowed, which does not make sense to me. 

Utcnow() is one of the key functions in expression.

Please can flow / O365 allow posting an event in utc and do the time zone conversion for us, similar to when I do this in the calendar itself?  

John-C-Sinclair
Level: Power Up

There are some important facts missing from the Microsoft Flow official documentation.

1. If you do not specify a Start time, the flow will trigger immediately, which you probably don't want.
  2. You should set the Time zone, otherwise Flow will use the default Time zone of UTC.
  3. Provide a Start time in this ISO format:
    YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss if you select a time zone
    -or-
    YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ if you don't select a time zone

There is better documentation for Recurrence available in the Azure docs
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/connectors/connectors-native-recurrence
which provides much better documentation for the Recurrence than the Flow docs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 3,311 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: