cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Iowa
Advocate I
Advocate I

removing contact information from text (phone numbers, emails...)

I have a need to remove contact information from a string.  We need to allow people to communicate within our system but not outside of it.  So, I need to search for and remove contact information from strings.  For example remove text with the pattern of a phone number or email.  If the powerapps "Match" function was available in power automate flows maybe it would be simple with regular expressions.  But it's not available.  I'm imagining lots of conditions with indexofs and lastindexofs and substrings.  

I thought I'd ask before I dig into it to see if anyone had any solutions out there.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
PrasadAthalye
Super User
Super User

@Paul_Iowa there is a plumsail connector available but you need a license and it involves cost...

https://medium.com/plumsail/how-to-use-match-test-replace-regular-expressions-in-microsoft-flow-and-... 

out of the box powerautomate, you will have to use indexofs and substrings as you mentioned...

You can always build a custom REST API in .NET, host it on cloud OR On-Premise & develop a custom connector by installing On-premise gateway... 

Please Like and Mark this as Answer if it resolves your Issue.

Power Automate Community

Hi @PrasadAthalye  ,

Thanks for your response.  I used that plumsail connector but found it would have been prohibitively expensive (per transaction) when the free trial ran out.  Although I enjoyed learning to use regular expressions I found a way replace the plumsail connector with a few functions and conditions in flow.   That problem was a little simpler than the one I've posed in this thread. 

Also, I've worked with teams using .NET but not directly myself. 

Power Apps have access to the Match function which takes regular expressions.  I've failed to find a way to write a power app function though and call it from a power automate flow.  Do you think that's possible?

Otherwise I'll likely create a in a child flow with lots of conditions, splits, indexofs and substrings.

Thanks.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (70,854)