cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qwertworks
Level: Power Up

save email as pdf

Let us save an email as PDF document when using outlook.com or 365.

For example I would like to set up a flow that lets me archive all emails that come are put into a certain folder as PDFs to my OneDrive. From what I see this does not seem to be possible as of right now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: save email as pdf

Hi @Qwertworks,

Do you want to save the incoming emails as PDF documents into your OneDrive folder?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a new email arrives" trigger.
  • Add a "Export email" action, Message Id field set to Message Id dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Create file" action of OneDrive connector, specify Folder Path, File Name field set to Received Time dynamic content.eml, File Content field set to output of "Export email" action.
  • Add a "Convert file" action, File field set to Id dynamic content of the "Create file" action, Target type set to PDF.
  • Add a "Create file 2" action, specify Folder Path, File Name field set to Received Time dynamic content.pdf, File Content field set to File content dynamic content of the "Convert file" action.
  • Add a "Delete file" action, File field set to Id dynamic content of the "Create file" action.

Image reference:19.JPG

20.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:21.JPG

22.JPG

The PDF file opens well as below:23.JPG

More details about creating a email message (.eml or .msg) file, please check the following article:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/outlook-connector-more/

Best regards,

kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
13 REPLIES 13
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Qwertworks,

Do you want to save the incoming emails as PDF documents into your OneDrive folder?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a new email arrives" trigger.
  • Add a "Export email" action, Message Id field set to Message Id dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Create file" action of OneDrive connector, specify Folder Path, File Name field set to Received Time dynamic content.eml, File Content field set to output of "Export email" action.
  • Add a "Convert file" action, File field set to Id dynamic content of the "Create file" action, Target type set to PDF.
  • Add a "Create file 2" action, specify Folder Path, File Name field set to Received Time dynamic content.pdf, File Content field set to File content dynamic content of the "Convert file" action.
  • Add a "Delete file" action, File field set to Id dynamic content of the "Create file" action.

Image reference:19.JPG

20.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:21.JPG

22.JPG

The PDF file opens well as below:23.JPG

More details about creating a email message (.eml or .msg) file, please check the following article:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/outlook-connector-more/

Best regards,

kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BSWatkins

I've got this working except the last step. Instead of deleting the .eml file, it deletes the .pdf file and retains the .eml.

Any thoughts?

creightons

When you select the Id for the file to delete in the last step, it needs to be from the original Create file step in the Flow (which creates the .eml file) NOT the Create file 2 step (which creates the .pdf file). When you create the Delete file step, the dynamic content starts with Create file 2 since that was the most recent step:

createfile2.pngList of dynamic content from Create file 2 step

But if you scroll down further, you should be able to select the file ID from the original Create file step and delete that file instead.

createfile_orig.pngDynamic content from the original Create file step

JAH313

I get this to work perfectly when testing it with messages already in Office356, but it will not run automatically when I send a test message to the inbox. I do have the flow set to "When New Email Arrives" and the inbox. 

Any ideas?

Dorul
Level 8

Hi @v-xida-msft

Works great, flow succeeded but it doesnt delete the .eml file at last step.

Any idea why? I also tried to insert the ID from pdf file, which works but with the ID from step Create file, it doesnt delete the saved mail.

Thank you

EDIT: actually it works, but only if someone else is sending the emails to me. I was testing sending mails to myself, in that case it doesnt delete the .eml files

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

MWISE
Level: Powered On

Hello,

I was able to get the flow to work and have the files delete as they should. I ran into an issue when trying emails like those from Uber or Lyft. The images are not being converted in the PDF. Any idea of what can be done?

ThanksOutlook-PDF-Flow.png

danjonwig17

I’m having exactly the same issue, embedded graphics aren’t being saved. I tried sending an email from outlook mobile on iOS with a single photo embedded, got only a little red x in the PDF file. Anyone fine a solution?

MWISE

I opened a ticket with Microsoft and was told that the Flow is working as expected and that the images aren't supported at this time. 

teqs

same problem, no HTML, no images

@MWISE wrote:

I opened a ticket with Microsoft and was told that the Flow is working as expected and that the images aren't supported at this time. 

I am not sure if this answer of MS makes sense. If embedded images and HTML is not included in the email export, then it is no full email export. Everything in the email, has to be in the email pdf export of course. I tried to export some HTML Emails with this method and after converting HTML elements and images are missing. Nowadays many emails use HTML and embedded image.

I will open a new flow idea to get a connector which can handle Emails to PDF Exports.

teqs

Re: same problem, no HTML, no images

@teqs wrote:

I will open a new flow idea to get a connector which can handle Emails to PDF Exports.

Here it is:

Export Mail to PDF format or convert .eml file to PDF including embedded images and HTML visualizati...

jaker12

Re: same problem, no HTML, no images

My converted email is cutoff. Anyone else experience this?

Cutoff Email.jpg

teqs

Re: same problem, no HTML, no images when convert Email to PDF in Flow

It seems that the actual buit-in "convert file" node is not capable of rendering an Email correctly and then export it to PDF.

Of course, this is not very simple, because the "convert file" connector needs some good and intelligent renderer. To render a email like a Email program and show most important peaces of the header.

Also convert file lacks some options, like "load embedded images", "page size", etc.

I updated the flow idea with some details:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Export-Email-to-PDF-format-or-convert-eml-file-to-PDF...

Zack9lawson

You can save Emails as PDF format. You need to  Softaken EML to PDF Converter is definitely a good choice that allows you to migrate multiple files at a time without any loss of data and efforts of the users. The converter is the ideal and excellent solution  with its innovation features and wide compatibility.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 4,808 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: