cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
katonage
Level 8

sending mail to members of a group

I'd like to use this to send individual  messages / approvals to each member of a department.

I need to do this individually for each, not by sending to the group mail

(approvals, personal info in mail, etc...)

I can not pass group from the sharepoint list that triggers the flow because of its current limitation of the flow-columns.

So i need to pass the group info by text. e.g. by the mail address.

o365 group function is not there, o365 user does not now about groups.

Azure AD can retrieve group, but only by ID, not by email (as it does in case of users)

Is there a solution other but just waiting while it is finished? all these are in the top voted flowideas...

at the end i dont know how to get to the group.

when there azure can retrieve members and a parallel for-each can be issued to send out the mails...

almost there but perkolation problem is not solvedyet...

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: sending mail to members of a group

Hi @katonage,

This seems cannot be achieved so far in flow as the group emails will be treated as one email address and cannot be seperated into multiple users' email address in flow. The only way to send emails to each users is using individual user emails. \

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
katonage
Level 8

Dear Mona,

I totaly agree and see the point why an approval sent to the group address can not be used to collect approval from everyone individually.

That's why I tried get group memebers and then put the approval in the for each loop. (but for dev reason sent ll approval for myself). As a result my inbox was not full with approvals, but one seems to wait the other...

Could you reproduce this issue?

flow id: 9c7531cf-4f2a-46aa-9614-62932c6b0230

this should ideally get all group members and then send approval for each of them (in case they are not already registered in a sharepoint list)

Gergely

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @katonage,

Sorry but I do not have the permission to access your flow directly. Would you please capture the detailed configuration of your flow and upload here?

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
katonage
Level 8

1 So at the top I find out a group

(different topic that i can not deliver a direct group reference from my sharepoint list item person field as it is not properly supported, and can not put the whol block in a for Each group box as nested foreach is no supported)

2 Then for all members

3 i play around with a sharepoint list (to be able to avoid double sending the request for the individuals, hence the condition)

4 and then tried the approval:

i tried 'outlook send email with options', 'outlook send approval letter' and 'Aprovals action': in all cases i received the approal request mails sequentially, meaning i received the next mail right after I approved the previous, just as the approval is retaining the for loop (expected in sequential call). Naturally if i use simple send mail, I receive all mails immediately.

Untitled.png

I think this should be the way to sed approvals to many individuals. Any better suggestion?

g.

katonage
Level 8

The problem in short:

How to get the Group ID string from the group name within flow? 

this could be then used in the AzureAD get group action.

katonage
Level 8

about parallel approvals: I was asked to post it in flowideas

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Apply-to-each-for-Approvals-send-out-many-approvals-i...

please vote!

MattHobbs
Level: Powered On

It was a little disconcerting to get through a fair chunk of development before I discovered this issue.  Smiley Sad  It really took me by surprise as I consider this a pretty basic set of workflow functionality. 

There is a persistent need to allow buisness users to manage thier own rosters/permissions for things like approvals and notifications.  Without this, we have to attempt to explicitly list the email recipients and iterate through them. 

Overall, a pretty clunky and time-consuming experience for something that should be pretty simple.

MVadi
Level: Power Up

Once you use Get members for Azure AD, how to extract just emails of users and store it in SP List using Flow?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 422 members 6,043 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: