Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

sending only updated attributes in an email through flow

Hi 

I have a question. I have a sharepoint list , once that list is updated I use a Flow to send and email with link to Sharepoint List Item 

Also, I send some generic attributes. 

However , I am required to send only attributes that are changed recently . e.g. If I have a list comprising of 10 columns, I have changed Col 1 , i Should just send an email stating that "Col1 Value has changed from "A" to "B". Something similar to what sharepoint does when we set alerts. It sends an alert with values that are changed being striked out etc. 

is it possible to achieve the same through flow using Emails 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: sending only updated attributes in an email through flow

Hi @prisharm,

Thanks for your response. Do you mean that I need to add all Column Names under Value in Initialize Variable step ? 

Also, do I need to add columns names explicitly with different values that they could take under "Append to Array Variable"

Yes, we should add multiple columns to append into the array, then use filter array to filter out these columns that Original value has changed, for example:

Annotation 2020-07-31 132826.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-31 132827.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prisharm,

You could send an HTTP request to SharePoint to get the last two versions of this item that just updated.

Then initialize an array variable to store these changed columns information, then compare the two versions, if any column changed, append it into the array variable.

About how to get two versions of item, you could refer to this blog:

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for the suggestion @v-litu-msft . I will give this a try and let you know the results.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @v-litu-msft 

I was wondering if there is a way to use intrinsic functionality of sharepoint of versioning or alerts to send emails through a flow. The problem doing it from Sharepoint is that Alerts could be managed at a predefined level i.e. by supplying an Email group or contact person names and then setting alerts.

I rather would like to send similar alerts but to fields defined in Sharepoint list e.g. created By , modified By etc. Which would change at a record level. 

Thanks for your help in advance 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prisharm,

I am afraid that there is no such way that could do it, compare versions is the best method could do as far as I know.

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for the response, @v-litu-msft . 

Just need one more clarification. Before I go and write a flow for version comparison like you suggested. I feel that Version Comparison  works on filed level , does this mean that I have to write separate flow for each of those fields or could I include all the columns from my list for comparison in a single flow ? I have around 70 Columns that I need to check updates on 

Thanks

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

I tried the method explained in http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

However, this seems to work if I have to check a single item . I have 70 columns in my sharepoint list and have to check status updates on each of those. I am not sure if I am misunderstanding any of what's suggested as a solution but looks like it would not work in my case. Unless , I create individual flows for each field check ?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prisharm,

There is no need to create separate Flow for each column,

Initialize an array variable to store these changed columns information, if any column changed, append it into the array variable.

The formate could be:

Annotation 2020-07-29 105343.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-29 105343.jpg

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @v-litu-msft 

Thanks for your response. Do you mean that I need to add all Column Names under Value in Initialize Variable step ? 

Also, do I need to add columns names explicitly with different values that they could take under "Append to Array Variable"

Please pardon my ignorance over this subject , I am fairly new to Flow .

Thanks for your help and patience 

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

@v-litu-msft 

I have thought of an alternative way of doing it. Please let me know your views 

1)Set Alert for a new email for a change in corresponding Sharepoint List to a distribution list or mailbox

3) For every new email set an alert in Flow

3) get Subject from email comprising of Title 

4)Use this title to matcha record in sharepoint list , fetch Email Ids that this email should get sent to (Multiple in my case , Created By , Modified By and others defined under a custom column Email recipients)

5) Forward this email with updates  to these people.

I will create a Flow and share results once done

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prisharm,

Yes, we should add multiple columns to append into the array, then use filter array to filter out these columns that Original value has changed, for example:

Annotation 2020-07-31 132826.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-31 132827.jpg

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

August 2020 CYST Winners!

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,927)