cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandervk
Level: Powered On

sharepoint update item with blank value

When using Sharepoin Update Item actions, does anyone know how to remove the current value meaning the new value should be blank or empty?

16 REPLIES 16
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: sharepoint update item with blank value

Hi @Sandervk,

If the column is not a required one, meaning there is no red tag beside the field, then you could just leave the field blank when creating the flow.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sandervk

Hi @v-monli-msft,

Thanks you for you reply.

I thought that was the case. However if you leave them blank when updating a record. they will not be updated at all. That why I was wondering how to remove existing value. I can ofcourse enter a <space> however that I can later on not check wheter this field is empty. I tested this with the Item Update shown below. The empty ones will not be emptied when running this. Only the one at the bottom will get updated. 

Capture.JPG

MrtnM

I have the same question: I am trying to build a Flow that sends an email with options, and if Option "Delete" is chosen, one field is supposed to be emptied. But I can't make it work, so for now I must settle with "update with <space>" but that is not what want to do. Looking forward to a solution Smiley Happy

nikelly

Instead of checking for empty spaces, you could always check for spaces that equal " " since it's replacing the deleted item with a blank space. 

Super User
Super User

This is a really old post, but I am trying to do this as well.  I do not believe leaving a field blank in an Update Item will remove the contents.  No value simply passes over the field and does not update it.  Anyone else have this experience?

Stroos

I've experienced this as well.  Leaving it blank simply leaves the data that is in the list and doesn't wipe it.  I want to wipe a numerical column from whatever data it contains back to blank each day.  Currently I use "0" but my users find it hard to view hte list and would prefer it to be emptied if possible.  Is this possible?

Super User
Super User

I have tried the expression null(), and that did not work for Sharepoint people fields.  I did not try it for numerical.

Stroos

Sweet!!  Null worked for numerical field.  Thanks for hte heads up martinav.

ONYXJas

To clear the current value from a field when using SharePoint Update item, select the dynamic content option, click on the Expression tab and select the Null function, then click OK.  This clears the current value and sets the field to null.

ONYXJas

Maybe that's changed, I've successfully used Null to clear people fields

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @Sandervk!

Have you had an opportunity to apply @ONYXJas‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel

Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Flow Community Manager
ONYXJas

...except I now find that this technique does not seem to work for person or group email claims fields - it throws a [400] error -"Unknown recipient" Smiley Sad

KutubK

I too tried to use Null to blank the People column in my flow but the flow failed with the message "recipient is invalid".

Please advice. 

KutubK

I was able to set the People column to blank using 'Send an HTTP request to SharePoint' action. It is working fine.

HTTP Request.jpg

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Nice one, @KutubK.  I'll definetely stash this one in my bag of tricks.  I dont know how some of y'all come up with these solutions.  If its anything like me, its a very time consuming and cumbersome trial and error process.

levijohnson

Gabriel,

I've been looking for hours for a solution to this. I should not have to set up an HTTP Post action just to clear a user/group field. This is an incredibly frustrating limitation, and would like to see some type of update or acknowledgement from MS for this shortcoming. Can you provide any updates on this? We need the ability to clear person fields with the update item action. EVERY OTHER field type you can user null, or -1 for choice fields. I would take either for person fields. 

Please respond!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 196 members 4,560 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: