cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
franzerman
Frequent Visitor

subtractFromTime not working

Hi!

 

I have an Excel table with dates (column called "endDate"), and I want to know which dates are on the current week. For that I'm using the following OData filter query:

 

(endDate ge startOfWeek) and (endDate lt startOfNextWeek)

 

 

 

where startOfWeek is the following piece of dynamic content:

 

subtractFromTime(addDays(utcNow(), 1), dayOfWeek(utcNow()), "Day")

 

 

and startOfNextWeek is pretty similar, but adding 7 days to mark the start of the next week:

 

addDays(subtractFromTime(addDays(utcNow(), 1), dayOfWeek(utcNow()), "Day"), 7)

 

 

The problem I'm getting is with subtractFromTime. If I add the "Day" parameter, I will get the error "The expression is invalid". If I don't include that parameter, I won't get that error but the flow won't run because subtractFromTime is lacking a parameter.

 

Is it a problem with Power Automate? Is there a problem with my filter I'm not seeing?

 

Thanks in advance

 

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Its a very simple fix.  You overlooked that you are writing the formula as JSON so it needs to use 'Day' not "Day".  Change the double quotes to single quotes and it will work.  I missed it myself for a few minutes.

addDays(subtractFromTime(addDays(utcNow(), 1), dayOfWeek(utcNow()), 'Day'), 7)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks for your response, this in fact seems to be the problem. But now it has raised 2 more issues, maybe you could know something about them.

 

Issue #1: Changed "Days" to 'Days', tried to save and got the same error ("The expression is invalid"). After that I did nothing and tried to save the expression again and worked just fine. Why is that?

 

Issue #2: When I tried to update the other "Day" to 'Day' (because I have 2 in my filter) it didn't show the error the first one had showed, but after saving I checked it and it hadn't really updated, it just saved as the old version ("Day" instead of 'Day'). I updated it again and it worked just fine. Are these normal bugs when working with Power Automate?

 

Thanks

With error checking the update function can be a bit quirky at times.  But I have no specific explanation other than that.  I do know that you have to use the single quote instead of the double quote.  I catch myself doing it inadvertently all the time.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (4,518)