cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichChrdk
Level: Powered On

use a future changes list to update another list, but only the specified fields in the changelist

hi,

I have a customer list, which now and then i get future change warnings for. Like in a month the address will change.

I want another list where i can type in the changes and which date the change should take effect. Then a flow should once a day check the list for any dates matching today and update the customer list with the changes specified.

however.. i do not want to fill out all 30 fields, just the field that is changing and customer ID.

but im fuzzy on how to check which field has a value and then use that field dynamically to change only that one field or two fields or three fields.

example...  customer 121 will change adresse to X on date Y  and go from 1 to 2 rented materials

here both adress and amount of materials needs to be changed on a specific date.

While another example could be .. customer 122 will change supplier from X to Y on date Y

Im imagining that a new element form will have all the fields, but i think i can narrow required down to 2 fields.

makes sense? 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
MichChrdk

Re: use a future changes list to update another list, but only the specified fields in the changelist

could you create an array of fields that are not empty and do a for each on that ? 

is it even possible to dynamically select a field to update in the update sharepoint element action?

MichChrdk

Re: use a future changes list to update another list, but only the specified fields in the changelist

or is it possible to write an expression in each field that evaluates if the dynamic content i want to fill in is empty?

Super User
Super User

@MichChrdk 

Here is something for you to try - use an expression similar to this:

Create a list with all columns that can change as well as date column.  Also include a lookup column that points to the primary list - this is how you will find the related record - the lookup column stores the ID of the item selected.  Only the lookup and date columns should be required.

if(equals([Dynamic properties reference to change list],null),[Refernce to existing value for column],[Reference to value in change list])

The expression checks for a null value in the change list. If it is null, then use the existing value. Otherwise, use the value from the change list.
You would use this expression (with changes made to reference each column) in the update item action for every column that can change.
If you need help with the rest of the Flow, let me know and I'll provide an example.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
MichChrdk

That sounds great, will have a look into that and test it out..

however the lookup thing.. might give me some pause, these elements are not unique only when you combine 2 column values. Same customer ID can have 5 different rows, so i'm normally combining ID with Material ID, because there is also a difference in supplier dependant on the material ID.

But will have a run at it soonish.. right now im trying to get search to function on a list that has primarily lookup columns.. it wont find anything 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 187 members 5,238 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: