cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelissaReed
Helper IV
Helper IV

using utcNow() results in "Location Service must be enabled to run this flow" message

I have an instant (manual) flow that runs great until I use the function utcNow() to get the current date/time.  

This only started happening a day or two ago.  I've used utcNow() successfully for years.  Initially it seemed to only occur in one specific env, but now I get the error in all environments.

Also once I delete the Action that calls utcNow(), the error persists. I  have to delete the trigger action and recreate it, then it runs fine.  Until I call utcNow() again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fchopo
Super User
Super User

Hi @MelissaReed 

In which action are you using the expression? I just did a test on my tenant (located in Europe) and is working fine (using utcNow() in a "Compose" action).

Probably the error is related to using the Location trigger. Please be sure to set the status of the Location to On, then re-run Flow to see if the problem exists:

18.PNG

Regards,

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
fchopo
Super User
Super User

Hi @MelissaReed 

In which action are you using the expression? I just did a test on my tenant (located in Europe) and is working fine (using utcNow() in a "Compose" action).

Probably the error is related to using the Location trigger. Please be sure to set the status of the Location to On, then re-run Flow to see if the problem exists:

18.PNG

Regards,

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!

I'm marking this as solved though I personally ran into a wall -- Location Services is blocked by the desktop administrator.  Working to get an exception on that.

What I don't understand is why there isn't the ability to fetch current datetime without requiring Location Services.  I get that it's probably because it wants to know my time zone and that's convenient but those of us without the ability to turn on Location Services are stuck.      Is there such a function I could use as a workaround?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (2,132)