Skip to main content

Notifications

Building Copilot Studio Chatbots in Microsoft T...
Unanswered

Silent failure at authentication step

Posted on by 28

I wrote a big question about this with pictures and links to resources, but it was deleted as 'spam'. So I'm going to try and ask again with less of all that in hopes it doesn't get deleted this time.

Long story short, I'm trying to set up a bot using PVA with manual authentication. We only want to use it with Teams, but don't want to use the 'teams only' authentication because we need access to the auth token. I've done my best to follow the 4 different MS documents that talk about setting this up, but for some reason while it works fine in the test panel of the PVA site, when I try it in teams it does everything that occurs before the authentication step then stops without further output.

Categories:
  • tdixon Profile Picture
    tdixon 28 on at
    Re: Silent failure at authentication step

Hi @bhlawsNASA, sadly not yet. However, I have contacted support for MS Power Virtual Agents, and they are looking into it. You might want to do the same, perhaps they can link the two issues together via this thread.

• bhlawsNASA Profile Picture
    bhlawsNASA 2 on at

I'm getting the exact same issue, where PVA won't even attempt to run any step which has any kind of authentication context (other than IsLoggedIn). No errors are thrown, and I've gone over all my configurations many times. @tdixon, did you manage to figure it out?? 

• Kamrani Profile Picture
    Kamrani on at

You might want to contact support: Support | Microsoft Power Virtual Agents.

• tdixon Profile Picture
    tdixon 28 on at

Where do I go from here?

• tdixon Profile Picture
    tdixon 28 on at

Yes, I have republished the bot every time I make changes. I also added the openid and profile permissions just now, and published again for good measure. My permissions now look like this.

app_reg_permissions.png

It does not seem to have fixed the issue.

Kamrani on at

Did you republish the bot in the PVA portal after making changes?

Also, I noticed that in the API Permissions (Azure Portal) you don't have openid and profile. Can you add them (see below):

Kamrani_0-1657834261708.png

• tdixon Profile Picture
    tdixon 28 on at

I am unfortunately still not seeing an error in Teams, just silent failure after reaching the authentication step. Authentication still works fine in the PVA test panel.

Kamrani on at

Sorry, you are correct. Editing error on my part. Fixed it above. Client Id (in the Authentication page) and AAD application's client ID (in the Teams channel page) are the same. 

I have not set the MPN ID and the bot works fine. 

What's the error you are seeing now?

• tdixon Profile Picture
    tdixon 28 on at

That's basically what I have, though I notice you have a different client ID for the Teams page than the Authentication page. I realise you're using fake IDs but is that intended? I thought the idea was to use the same app registration.

Does it matter that I do not have a MPN ID? That I haven't filled in any of the branding properties? I have a vague memory of needing to fill in the web site field for something else.

app_reg_branding.png

Kamrani on at

If you have all the setting correct and the bot works in the PVA portal then it should work in Teams unless there are some Teams related permission issues.

I just checked the settings I have in my Teams bot. This is what I have:

In the Edit details page for Teams, I have the following:

AAD application's client ID
    98g9f545fg-44f5-41ac-a08b-34f6hfds

Resource URI
    api://botid-4b54e03-70b2-48de-be04-b5523gb54g (notice the /user-sso part is not included here)

App ID
    4b54e03-70b2-48de-be04-b5523gb54g

Notice that the App ID is the also used in the Resource URI above that was created in the Azure portal.

And in the Authentication page

Client ID
    98g9f545fg-44f5-41ac-a08b-34f6hfds

Client secret
    ••••••••••

Token exchange URL (required for SSO)
    api://botid-4b54e03-70b2-48de-be04-b5523gb54g/user-sso  (notice user-sso part is included here)

Tenant ID
    82ghyukb-86f1-45fgth-91ab-5tgdesw

Scopes
    profile openid

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Exciting News for Copilot Studio Communi…

Get ready to experience a whole new level of engagement with the Copilot Studio…

Celebrating the May Super User of the…

LaurensM is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community…

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

renatoromao Profile Picture

renatoromao 6,459

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 1,954

Expiscornovus Profile Picture

Expiscornovus 1,637

Featured topics