Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuilhermePazos
Microsoft
Microsoft

User.ID variable is "blank" after Chatbots (preview) copy and upgrade

Hi PVA Community.

Wondering if anyone faced this issue. I've been using my PVA Chatbot normally with Power Automate Flows. Some of those flows rely heavily on the User.ID for the specific authentication controls.

I've upgraded my Chatbot to the new and improved Preview version and I've noticed that the User.ID (String) variable is now flowing empty to Power Automate flows as well as in the app itself it shows as "__".

Thanks, any help appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @GuilhermePazos - I created a new bot in PVA (public preview/unified canvas) and was able to send and receive User.Id between PVA and Flow. I didn't try an upgraded bot, but can you reproduce the issue in a brand-new bot?

Hello @Kamrani , yes, I can still reproduce the issue.

Error details on flow:

GuilhermePazos_0-1675070527589.png

Outputs from the PVA on the flow:

GuilhermePazos_1-1675070571739.png

As you can see above the variable is empty. I've noticed as well that this issue only happens if I trigger the flow through MS Teams, but if I trigger it from the Test Bot (integrated) on the PVA it works fine (user ID is populated).

I'm having a similar issue. My authorization is set as 'Only for Teams'. I created an action where the User.DisplayName is used to search for user details with power automate, however when published I get this error in automate 

The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Get_user_profile_(V2)' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: The resolved string values for the following parameters are invalid, they may not be null or empty: 'id'

when checking the input parameter it says this

{"error":{"code":"AuthorizationFailed","message":"The authentication credentials are not valid."}}

Can you verify what the value is of the parameter before passing it to the flow?  Ie send it in a message is it null, or does it have a value?

sarah99
Frequent Visitor

The parameter is empty. This issue also only happens through MS Teams; It works fine from the Test Bot (preview) on the PVA.

Screenshot (95).png

Hello James, the same as it's happening to Sarah. It is happening to me. In PVA I've put the variable to be sent out to the flow on a separate message box, and the value is coming up as blank only in Microsoft teams. But when the same is done through the chatbot test bot directly on the PVA platform, the result is successful and the user IDs passed and displayed.

Jameslew_MSFT
Microsoft
Microsoft

Further discussion; I've chatted with KamranI above offline.  One thing to note is that in the PVA unified authoring canvas preview, bot authentication with MS Teams is not currently working.  The dev team is investigating, however possibly this is related to your issue above.

Do you know approximately when this issue may get resolved? I would like to test my Agent with my company soon. 

Jameslew_MSFT
Microsoft
Microsoft

I don't have a specific date; it will be resolved by the time we move this preview to General Availability, which per the PVA release calendar is slated for May this year.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Virtual Agents News & Announcements

Power Virtual Agents News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Virtual Agents community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Virtual Agents Community Blog

Power Virtual Agents Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,952)