cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cotswoldmark
Level: Power Up

Access to PowerApps with Dynamic Combo boxes

Hi - I'm brand new to PowerApps...but have built simple apps in MS Access previously.

One Access app I created for our company enables a users to get quotes for a product, based on a number of criteria.

They choose criteria via combo boxes.  The list in the second combo box is sourced from a query and uses the critieria from the 1st combo.  This is repeated in subsequent combo boxes using data from the previous combos.

Finally I append the quote query result to a temp table (I do this in case the user wants to add multiple quotes)...a report is then shown.  On exit, data from the temp table is cleared, ready for the next quote

I was looking to roll this app out externally for our suppliers...and I've been advised that PowerApps is the way ahead.

Before I embark on a learning exercise - is this something that is possible in PowerApps?  I have had a play around with the UI - and sourced data from Excel tables...but the combos are therefore not dynamic based on the data selected in the other combos.

Hope this makes sense - sample of my attempt at a UI attached...

SW_Quote.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Access to PowerApps with Dynamic Combo boxes

Hi @cotswoldmark,

Can you first explain how you want the 2nd combo box to filter with the values selected from the 1st combo box? Maybe with example excel source data.

Here is my example to explain how to achieve this:

I have the excel table like below:

Capture.PNG

Insert the 1st ComboBox1 control. Set its Items property to:

Distinct(Table1,A)

Capture.PNG

Insert the 2nd ComboBox2 control, I assume that user will at most select 4 options in ComboBox1. But if yours have more option selected, you can just add more filter conditions. Set Items property to:

Filter(Table1,
First(ComboBox1.SelectedItems).Result=A
Or
Last(FirstN(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,2)).Result=A
Or
Last(FirstN(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,3)).Result=A
Or
Last(FirstN(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,4)).Result=A
).B

Here are the ComboBox2's option result when selecting options from ComboBox1:

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tchin-nin
Level 10

Hi @cotswoldmark

PowerApps is not yet accessible to guest users, so unless your suppliers have a licensed account into your Office365 tenant, you won't be able to share your app with them.

I said "yet" because the community is pushing quite hard to have this sharing to external users feature, so it might come one day.

But, otherwise, your business requirements seems to be achievable in PowerApps. I would suggest you to consider some other Data source than Excel : SQL/CDS best options, SharePoint might be considered with some restrictions.

Cheers,

Théo 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @cotswoldmark,

Can you first explain how you want the 2nd combo box to filter with the values selected from the 1st combo box? Maybe with example excel source data.

Here is my example to explain how to achieve this:

I have the excel table like below:

Capture.PNG

Insert the 1st ComboBox1 control. Set its Items property to:

Distinct(Table1,A)

Capture.PNG

Insert the 2nd ComboBox2 control, I assume that user will at most select 4 options in ComboBox1. But if yours have more option selected, you can just add more filter conditions. Set Items property to:

Filter(Table1,
First(ComboBox1.SelectedItems).Result=A
Or
Last(FirstN(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,2)).Result=A
Or
Last(FirstN(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,3)).Result=A
Or
Last(FirstN(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,4)).Result=A
).B

Here are the ComboBox2's option result when selecting options from ComboBox1:

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,133)