cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeReuse01
Level: Powered On

Add image control - native camera resolution

I have built an app with an add image control. If I take a photo from the photo library of my iphone, I can upload large resolution photos. But if I choose the native camera instead of the photo library, the photo is taken again in a low resolution (such as with the camera control) Can I set the 'Add image control' that when I open the native camera the photo will be in the highest resolution possible,  or is here is also the same problem as what is involved with the camera control (640 x 480).

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Add image control - native camera resolution

Hi @DeReuse01 ,

I've made a similar test and met the same problem as you described.

I’m afraid the camera control has the resolution limit at 640 x 480 in PowerApps currently.

Here is another thread talking about the same issue:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Camera-Image-Resolution-Size-Limit/...

Someone has posted his idea bout it, you could vote for him:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Camera-Image-Resolution/idi-p/34977

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

DeReuse01

Hello @goobernoodles 

thanks for your reply. But I just use the upload media control. If you open the native camera from this and then upload a photo, the resolution is still 480 x 600. If you use a picture from the library, it will have a full resolution. We have now built the app and given our employees the information to take first a photo and then load the photo from the library into the app. But very remarkable, if you send a photo from a smartphone, the resolution will be lowered again. The cause of this lies in a setting at the app on a smartphone. You have to switch off the optimization. If it is disabled, you will send the photo in high resolution.

Highlighted
DeReuse01

Hello @goobernoodles ,

Thanks for your reply. As you indicate you can take photos in full resolution and save them but you should not forget to disable a setting of PowerApps on your smartphone. That is the setting to optimize PowerApps. If this is enabled, the photos will be converted  from the highest resolution to a low resolution.

IMG_1225.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DeReuse01 ,

I've made a similar test and met the same problem as you described.

I’m afraid the camera control has the resolution limit at 640 x 480 in PowerApps currently.

Here is another thread talking about the same issue:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Camera-Image-Resolution-Size-Limit/...

Someone has posted his idea bout it, you could vote for him:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Camera-Image-Resolution/idi-p/34977

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

DeReuse01

Hello Phoebe @v-yutliu-msft ,

thanks for your reply. I hope the Microsoft PowerApps team gets on to work on this. If you use an app from a PC, okay. But in many cases you make an app for use on a mobile device such as a smartphone. I have searched the internet for a long time to find a way to send high resolution photos via PowerApps to SharePoint, finally I thought I found it. So it's a bit disappointing that we first have to take the photos outside of PowerApps and then pull them back into PowerApps. But thank you very much for wanting to help.

Best regards,

Samuel

goobernoodles

A workaround is to use the upload media control.  If you're on a phone, when you add an image, it gives you the option to take a photo.

DeReuse01

Hello @goobernoodles 

thanks for your reply. But I just use the upload media control. If you open the native camera from this and then upload a photo, the resolution is still 480 x 600. If you use a picture from the library, it will have a full resolution. We have now built the app and given our employees the information to take first a photo and then load the photo from the library into the app. But very remarkable, if you send a photo from a smartphone, the resolution will be lowered again. The cause of this lies in a setting at the app on a smartphone. You have to switch off the optimization. If it is disabled, you will send the photo in high resolution.

goobernoodles

It sounds like perhaps there may be something misconfigured.  Perhaps the way things are set up in your app, you're saving images at the dimensions of your image control within your app, rather than the actual image size.  Just a thought.

This should help you out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xMLprDTjU

I've successfully uploaded full resolution images using the upload media control.  That's for both new photos using the built in camera (by pressing "Take Photo") or by choosing an existing photo on my phone.  I've had successful tests saving photos to Sharepoint, Azure SQL and Azure Blob Storage. I can throw together a little app if you need.

Highlighted
DeReuse01

Hello @goobernoodles ,

Thanks for your reply. As you indicate you can take photos in full resolution and save them but you should not forget to disable a setting of PowerApps on your smartphone. That is the setting to optimize PowerApps. If this is enabled, the photos will be converted  from the highest resolution to a low resolution.

IMG_1225.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 103 members 5,189 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: