cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tested1
Level: Powered On

Adding a help icon next to Form Question

Hello

I was looking at a form someone had sent me. I am not 100% sure if it was created in PowerApps form but wanted to see if I can do it

Please see the picture. Is it possible to have that little information or help icon next to the question? And if a user clicks on it or hovers over it, then a text bubble/message would pop up or even better it could say ....xyzxyz..please click here to learn more?

I had saw this on the User voice community but not sure if its possible: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Help-icon-next-to-form-field/idi-p/98814

Thank you

help icon.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Adding a help icon next to Form Question

Hi @tested1 ,

If you want to add a link within the help tooltip text, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative soltuion, you could consider launch the specific URL when you click the Help Icon button. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Set the OnSelect proeprty of the Help Icon button to following:

Launch("https://google.com")

On your side, you shoudl type:

Launch("Your URL Address")

More details about Launch function in PowerAPps, please check the following article:

Launch function

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

I made a video to show exactly this PowerApps Tooltip and contextual help.

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tested1 ,

Do you want to add a Help icon text next to the question within your app?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the Tooltip property of the Help icon could achieve your needs.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

Set the Tooltip property of the Message Icon button to following:

"Please type your email address here!"

On your side, you should set the Tooltip property of the Help Icon button to following:

"The Tooltip message you want to display for this question"

When you hovers over the Help icon, the message would show up.

Please check the attached GIF screneshot for more details:

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tested1

Thanks @v-xida-msft  @Shanescows . I will look through your video soon 🙂

Quick Question, If I used the Tooltip icon, can I change the icon to say a questionmark or anything else?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

HI @tested1 ,

Yeah. You could type anything text value within the Tooltip property of the Message Icon button (Help Icon button).

Please check the attached GIF screenshot as below:Test.gif

Best regards,

tested1

Thanks @v-xida-msft  

I meant more like change the shape of the speech box thing itself, so use other shapes or custom shapes instead of this rectangle chat like icon?

So maybe instead of this chat icon I could have a questionmark inside a circle instead for the icon.

EDIT: Looks like you can just pick a different icon and do the same steps.

Question:

Is it possible to add a link to the help text? Or is that not possible as it may be difficult to click. 

E.g. user highlights over or clicks help icon. It says 'zzzzzzz Please click HERE for more help'? Or is there a better alternative if I wanted this step. I guess using a button like I am already would do it but just wondering what the limitations are to the tool tip icon

Thanks @v-xida-msft 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tested1 ,

Currently, the questionmark icon is not supported within PowerApps.

As an alternative solution, you could consider download the specific shape images from web, then import them into your app as Media files.

More details about importing media files into PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/add-images-pictures-audio-video

Then you could add a Image control within your app, set the Image property to a specific imported shape image. Resize the Image control, and set the Tooltip proeprty of the Image control to following:

"Specific message you want to display"

Please check the attached GIF screenshot for more details:Test.gif

Best regards,

tested1

Thanks @v-xida-msft  

The 'i' in the circle is good enough.

Any thoughts on this:

Question:

Is it possible to add a link to the help text? Or is that not possible as it may be difficult to click. 

E.g. user highlights over or clicks help icon. It says 'zxstyzz Please click HERE for more help'? Or is there a better alternative if I wanted this step. I guess using a button like I am already would do it but just wondering what the limitations are to the tool tip icon

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tested1 ,

If you want to add a link within the help tooltip text, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative soltuion, you could consider launch the specific URL when you click the Help Icon button. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Set the OnSelect proeprty of the Help Icon button to following:

Launch("https://google.com")

On your side, you shoudl type:

Launch("Your URL Address")

More details about Launch function in PowerAPps, please check the following article:

Launch function

Best regards,

View solution in original post

udynick
Level: Power Up

Hi this works if using the app on a computer. Is there anyway to use this same method on a tablet or phone as they dont have a mouse. Ive just tried it and a stylus pen also doesnt work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,605)