cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Adding choices to a drop-down column using data from a seconday data source

I'm attempting to create my first mobile form using a SharePoint online list using PowerApps installed on my local machine.
The app is created and the list has opened up. I then added a data source to another SharePoint list in the same site.
Now I would like to choose a column from that secondary datasource to populate the drop-down field in my current form.

I did come across this forum question which does help bit.

Can this be done? If yes then can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Re: Adding choices to a drop-down column using data from a seconday data source

Yes, it is possible. However this process needs to be driven by the data/metadata coming from SharePoint, as opposed to being driven by the form itself in PowerApps. In other words, you will need to declare the column as a lookup column that takes its values from a different SP list; instead of configuring/wiring the form itself (in PowerApps) to force that relationship.

In SharePoint, you may want to create your column in this fashion, then:

SP.png

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Please make sure the field/column that needs to show a dropdown of possible options is declared as a Choice column in SharePoint. As long as you specify what the possible field values are (at the point where you add the Choice column), those values should automatically be picked up by PowerApps when you create your app, and the resulting app should show a dropdown of possible values.

If you already created and app, and you would simply like to refresh it after modifying the list on SharePoint, please save the app and re-open it in PowerApps. This should refresh PowerApps' view of that list. The new Choice column you added will show up in the Form customization panel.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi Radu,

The added choice type column does show up. However, is it possible that using the Power Apps form I can create a secondar connection to another SharePoint list and use that connection to add choices to the choice type column I had created?

This is a functionality that is available in other form building applications including InfoPath Designer.

PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Yes, it is possible. However this process needs to be driven by the data/metadata coming from SharePoint, as opposed to being driven by the form itself in PowerApps. In other words, you will need to declare the column as a lookup column that takes its values from a different SP list; instead of configuring/wiring the form itself (in PowerApps) to force that relationship.

In SharePoint, you may want to create your column in this fashion, then:

SP.png

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

rezadurrani28
Level: Powered On

Hi,

Having an issue with PowerApps performance

Whenever i add a data form (edit/new) to powerapps and if the form data cards include a column of type Choice or Lookup and the data card for the same is in edit lookup mode - the powerapp takes a lot of time on startup and keeps loading the references and slows down the performance of the app (the choice column only has 2 values - so it does not even have loads of data to traverse)

Also, the moment i chnage the data card type to View Lookup for the choice or lookup field - the powerapp load performance is flawless

Can you please advise on the same

I know this thread is not related to my question but this was probably my only hope to connect with you

Regards,

Reza

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,802)