cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxDonen
Level: Powered On

Advice regarding the use of 'Parent' as a non-keyword

So to put it simply, I did not know that 'Parent' is a reserved keyword within PowerApps. My table (excel data, static) contained the columns 'Parent' and 'Child' and I noticed some peculiar behaviour (some items not displaying, some pictures not loading, etc) in my app when I tried to import the table's contents into a collection, and then subsequently to a gallery.

After a lot of troubleshooting, it turned out that every issue/bug could be traced back to a variable that was dependent on the 'Parent' column.

PowerApps does not warn you that this could occur, so be warned.

Avoid using this keyword! If you must use the word 'Parent', write it with a typo eg 'ParentA' or something similar. I spent hours trying to figure this one out-hopefully I can spare you the same bother.

Cheers guys.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Advice regarding the use of 'Parent' as a non-keyword

Thanks @MaxDonen for taking the time to share this.  These types of problem can be very difficult to diagnose, so it serves as a good reminder to all of us to avoid reserved words.

Another tip is that if you find yourself in a situation where you can't change the source column name (eg you're connecting to data source that you don't own/control), you can rename the column name client side with the RenameColumns function.

Also, another keyword to avoid is 'Location', as this conflicts the Location keyword in PowerApps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks @MaxDonen for taking the time to share this.  These types of problem can be very difficult to diagnose, so it serves as a good reminder to all of us to avoid reserved words.

Another tip is that if you find yourself in a situation where you can't change the source column name (eg you're connecting to data source that you don't own/control), you can rename the column name client side with the RenameColumns function.

Also, another keyword to avoid is 'Location', as this conflicts the Location keyword in PowerApps.

View solution in original post

Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the helpful thread @MaxDonen and @timl 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 5,767 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: