Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GuillaumeL
Level: Powered On

Advices on Sharepoint lists advantages

Hello everyone,

I am creating a topic not for answering an issue but more for advices.

Let me explain my application

It works really like a Multi shopping cart. I have 3 Sharepoint lists :

• Cart : Id, Name, Status, etc
  • Product : Id, Name, etc
  • Sales : CartId, ProductId, Quantity (CartId and ProductId are Lookup columns, is it good ?)

My idea is to be able to create, modify, remove or close carts as I want and when I want. For that, I have a gallery displaying the carts (Here comes my first question : Is it a good idea to use a Sharepoint list if I will have delegation issues when displaying my gallery with a search/filter function ? maybe on Excel can be better ? It is not a main issue because I will have less than 500 carts opened for sure)

In each cart, after its creation, I have a screen where I want to select which products are interesting or not (I don't put the quantity right now). So I have a gallery displaying the products list with Checkboxes to select the one I want or not. The idea is to add to the list Sales, a row for each product when it is selected in the cart and delete it when it is unselected (Patch and Remove). For now, I am using a LookUp function to know if the product is in the cart or not but I still have this delegation issue. As it is supposed to have minimum 40 products per cart for 100 carts, this solution will work only if I filter my Sharepoint list by Cart before displaying the list of products. (Could it be interested to load my Sharepoint list filtered for the actual cart into a Collection at the OnStart of the screen to have the current status of the cart, and then Patch the collection into the Sharepoint list at the end of the selection ? For a better performance ?)

To finish, I will have a screen where I will be able to add a value or "Quantity" to each product in my cart with a filtered gallery again. The real app is managing Projects, Tests selection and Tests values but I am training on a shopping cart to understand better as I am new on PowerApps

If you can help me on this subject, it could be perfect. Maybe the use of Excel tables on OneDrive is better for the performances (to not have delegation issues) ? It is a kind of many-to-many relationship

Thank you for your help and have a great day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Advices on Sharepoint lists advantages

Hi,

This is an old thread but I see that nobody responded to it at the time. I would guess based on the date that the intended use is now probably no longer a valid question.

1) Regarding LookUp columns, these are not ideal but there are always way to work with these in PowerApps

2) SharePoint List delegation issues are no longer as big a problem as they used to be and many functions are now delegable

3) I would use Filter rather than LookUp for your cart

4) I have used SharePoint for similar-but-different applications, so I don't think that using Excel-loaded datasources would be your best option and would stick to SharePoint but use better delegable queries and design your App with better optimisations.

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Advices on Sharepoint lists advantages

Hi,

This is an old thread but I see that nobody responded to it at the time. I would guess based on the date that the intended use is now probably no longer a valid question.

1) Regarding LookUp columns, these are not ideal but there are always way to work with these in PowerApps

2) SharePoint List delegation issues are no longer as big a problem as they used to be and many functions are now delegable

3) I would use Filter rather than LookUp for your cart

4) I have used SharePoint for similar-but-different applications, so I don't think that using Excel-loaded datasources would be your best option and would stick to SharePoint but use better delegable queries and design your App with better optimisations.

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,833)