cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aesthetics of power apps. What is possible?

Hi Power users,

Please I would like to understand how much design can be done on powerapps. Is it possible to replicate some of Google's Material Design principles?

I tried importing shapes, but there is no feature (To the best of my knowledge) that allows that. Is it possible to do this?

I want to create an app but I need it to look beautiful like a normal app, to enable people receive it well and enjoy using it.

Also Powerapps loads pretty slowly on mobile, is there a way to optimise the experience?

Finally, what is the possiblity of creating a responsive app in terms of feedback and having users earn points based on participation on the app?

Thank you.

Aj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Aesthetics of power apps. What is possible?

Thanks for mentioning Google's Material Design principles--I googled it and now I have good reading material to fill my time.

For shapes, I haven't come across a way to import shapes--I presume you want a vector and not just a PNG or JPEG of a shape. This tutorial about using scalable vector graphics (SVG) caught my attention and I implemented it in my own app.

I agree that PA is slow on mobile. The iPad app is much slower than the browser experience. It's odd because iPads can generally handle a lot more.

And regarding responsive apps, you can create a CDS entity of users and their points. Set a Button to log the points for each interaction. I teach a classroom of kids and we use PowerApps for "online banking." I presume you could work the same for other contexts. I asked an artist if I could use his sprites as avatars.2017-02-03.png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mr-dang
Level 10

Thanks for mentioning Google's Material Design principles--I googled it and now I have good reading material to fill my time.

For shapes, I haven't come across a way to import shapes--I presume you want a vector and not just a PNG or JPEG of a shape. This tutorial about using scalable vector graphics (SVG) caught my attention and I implemented it in my own app.

I agree that PA is slow on mobile. The iPad app is much slower than the browser experience. It's odd because iPads can generally handle a lot more.

And regarding responsive apps, you can create a CDS entity of users and their points. Set a Button to log the points for each interaction. I teach a classroom of kids and we use PowerApps for "online banking." I presume you could work the same for other contexts. I asked an artist if I could use his sprites as avatars.2017-02-03.png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you MR Dang for your reponse. It does seem like a very complex solution. Almost too complex for what I would like. Thanks for sharing all the same. and all the best with your Material Design Reading, it's awesome material.

mr-dang
Level 10

Hi again,

I previously responded to you before I knew that PowerApps was putting on a Creative Design Challenge. There's some creative solutions others have made for animating bar graphs, drop shadow, and progress bars:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23artsypowerapper&src=typd

Audrie's project

I added my submission with a work-around for fade-to-black as well. It's worth a look so you can borrow ideas.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 82 members 4,958 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: