cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dimi
Level 10

Allow PowerApp users to submit data to sharepoint but restrict Sharepoint direct access

Hi all

I have a similar case as this one

and I don't seem to find something that works so that I can allow users to insert/update records from a SharePoint list but trough a PowerApp interface but I don't want these users to be able to access the SharePoint list itself (by url).

Is this possible?

thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Allow PowerApp users to submit data to sharepoint but restrict Sharepoint direct access

@dimi 

There are a lot of concepts for how to do this.  Some involve a lot of work (i.e. Flows to move and copy, etc) and can get messy.

SharePoint doesn't really have a hide the list so no one can see it, yet allow access to it to edit.

There are crafty ways to switch up forms and views that will obscure the list, but nothing that really "protects" it if they aer expected to have anything more than View access.

One idea you can also consider (if this is an issue with seeing other peoples entries) - is to explore using the "Create and Edit access" in the List advance settings.  It give some level of protection.

Just a though and I saw no one had jumped in on this message...I hope it helps some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Allow PowerApp users to submit data to sharepoint but restrict Sharepoint direct access

@dimi 

There are a lot of concepts for how to do this.  Some involve a lot of work (i.e. Flows to move and copy, etc) and can get messy.

SharePoint doesn't really have a hide the list so no one can see it, yet allow access to it to edit.

There are crafty ways to switch up forms and views that will obscure the list, but nothing that really "protects" it if they aer expected to have anything more than View access.

One idea you can also consider (if this is an issue with seeing other peoples entries) - is to explore using the "Create and Edit access" in the List advance settings.  It give some level of protection.

Just a though and I saw no one had jumped in on this message...I hope it helps some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

dimi
Level 10

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have indeed used Flows to handle everything (which is some work but it does what i need it to do so far). The PowerApp uses the Flow on Submitting the data, performs certain logic and insert/updates this in SharePoint.

Thank you very much for the "Create and Edit access" i will take a look at this, this might be usefull to know!

kbansal
Level: Powered On

How did you accomplish this process through flow? Did you use a template in flow?

dimi
Level 10

Hi @kbansal 

I created a Flow from within the PowerApps with the Button "Flows" that you can find under Action (see attachment flow.png) but you can also do it like explained here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

Both will work. After that you need to trigger the flow, let's say you want it on a button click.

In the OnSelect property of that button, you can trigger your flow by typing: YourFlowName.Run(if any values need to be passed they should come here).

This will trigger your Flow.

Let me know if something is not clear 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 83 members 5,035 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: