cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajarac
Level 8

Alternative to MS Word Connector (Premium)

Hello,

Looking for an advice here? I have my flow which is using the MS Word Connector, but I don't want to deal with this new MS Licensing stuff. I would like to keep things simple. Is there any easy method to implement an alternative to achieve the same result as using the Word connector?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Alternative to MS Word Connector (Premium)

Hi @sajarac ,

Could you describe more clearly about what do you want to do?
I need to know what action you want.

As far as I know, there's only one connector about word currently in flow. It is MS Word Connector.

I couldn't find any connector could replace it totally.

Maybe you could consider to create a custom api based on your demands.

Here's a doc about it for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/define-blank

What's more,I think your issue is about flow, I suggest you post your issue here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Forums/ct-p/FL_Comm_Forums

There will be engineers who are more professional about flow to help you.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sajarac
Level 8

Morning,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

My app is a share point list, in my app I when the user has a selected record form the gallery they can click in an icon that triggers the MS Flow, this action populate a MS Word template *.docx with the selected data from the Share point list. Then the flow converts the Word document to PDF and send back an email to the users with the PDF enclosed. Basically I am using the word connector to populate the MS word template.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

@sajarac 

I personally don't see why anyone for that matter needs to use the Word Connector, with possible exception being where you may require Images or Repeating Sections control in your template.

I published a blog on how to do this a year ago. I think that was before the Preview of the Word Connector was even released.

Check out my on how to do the same without using the Word Connector:

https://masteroffice365.com/booking-form-leveraging-powerapps-microsoft-word/

sajarac
Level 8

Wow, Thank you very much. Great post, well explained.  Is almost exactly what I need until the point that is not only for "when a share point item is created or modified". I need it for a several records at once like a shopping cart or purchase order style, That is why the repeating section is critical.

But definitely I will bookmark this awesome tutorial.

Thank you kindly.

Sure!

In so far as repeating sections are concerned, I don't necessary mean that it can't be done whilst still primarily using the same code and template in the blog, only that I essentially didn't / don't know to back then. However per the guidance on the Word Online (Business) web page insofar as how to implement repeating sections using Plain Text Content Controllers within the parent repeat content controller. That was in essense what I struggled with last. Seeing it now implemented with same overall technique, perhaps the solution I shared, it "may" be possible to use that pattern for repeating sections.

Per the MS Word connector documentation, a property (or properties) need to be added to the document. As such, it is quite possible is that all you may necessarily have to add to the solution I shared, equally add additional metadata fields to the list to store the values for the content pertaining to the repeating sections.

"If the number of rows you want is dynamic, then user should make a array of values and pass it into the repeat field. For example, a valid array for the above example would look like: [{"a": "value for row 1", "b": "value for row 1"}, {"a": "value for row 2", "b": "value for row 2"}]" - perhaps this syntax would equally work if added to a custom Single line of text and/or Multiple lines of text columns added to the list/library.

Interestingly with the solution I shared both Date Picker Content Controls.and Check Box Content Controls are supported whereas with the MS Word connector they are not 🤗

I may just test this out myself because now I somewhat interested LOL    

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,099)