cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrSchu02
Level: Powered On

App crashes on iOS only

Hello,

I am making an app used for inspection of items connected to two different SharePoint lists. Each section of the inspection has questions and a user can add a local picture per question. The images are sent to one list and stored as base64, I do not convert them at all from PowerApps. The forms are sent to the other list.

I am using the camera control and saving the image to a local gallery. I originally patched all the image data and the form for the 6 sections at the end of the inspection process. This worked fine on my Windows PC and Google Pixel but did not always work on an IPad. The IPad would get hot and the app (Not PowerApps) would reload. I could make this happen every time I took anywhere from 20-40 pictures saved in a local collection. I felt I was using up the devices RAM so I restructured my app.

Here is a session ID for this configuration: 2a3a6879-41a6419d-9ae7-3c506a6646e5

The new structure submits the form and patches the image data when the user leaves each section (I check if the form has unsaved data and check for images first). I then clear the local collection used for storing the pictures. This puts a range of 2-8 pictures per section. I can still make the app crash but this time PowerApps crashes. 

Here is my most recent session ID: 34dc3158-b774-4871-ba04-3ae4bb71215a6

I am using version 3.18075.16 on the IPad and using the web client at version 3.18092.18

I know there are a lot of factors involved and will provide as much data as I can. 

3 REPLIES 3
MrSchu02

Re: App crashes on iOS only

I have cleared my cache and reinstalled PowerApps. I am still getting the app to randomly crash. I did more testing on different devices and got mixed results. On an iPhone 6 the phone would heat up the point the user did not feel comfortable using the app. On an iPhone 6S the app would restart, not PowerApps but the app would reload and go to the main landing screen. One an iPhone 8 the app ran without issue and did not heat up the phone. 

The iPhone 6 and 6S have less than the recommended ram of 2 gigs for the use of PowerApps. The iPad and iPhone 8 both have 2 gigs and the app crashes on the iPad.

Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

sorry to hear about this issue @MrSchu02. I will research and follow up within the thread. 

@TopShelf-MSFT

MrSchu02

Thank you for the response.

I do have an update since my last post. I changed the way I handle pictures.

Here was my old method:

The camera control took a picture and put it in a local collection. I then patched a SharePoint list with the base64 data of the images from the local collection. (max 8 images at a time in the collection)

New method:

The camera control takes a picture and puts it in a local collection. I then run a flow per image in the collection that converts the data from base64 to binary and is saved to SharePoint. (max 8 images at a time in the collection)

**The reason for the old method was PowerApps (either the app or a custom form) are the only way users are viewing the images**

I have not been able to have the app crash after changing the image transfer method. I am conducting training on the app later this week and will update next week with the outcome.

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 109 members 5,046 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: