cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davidstone
Level 8

App deployment strategy for large enterprise?

Assuming someone develops an app that becomes mission critical for a large number of people, it doesn't feel sufficient to have just a primary and secondary owner.

What strategies are people following to deploy large scale / critical PowerApp and Flow solutions?

We're considering using a service account, but with different security sensitivities across different solutions, it also doesn't feel like just one service account will be sufficient. Taking it to the extreme, we don't want to 30 apps with 30 different accounts.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: App deployment strategy for large enterprise?

Hi @davidstone ,

You can have as many owners as you want for one app. Just add the users as co-owners when sharing the app:

Capture.JPG

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
davidstone
Level 8

Re: App deployment strategy for large enterprise?

That still doesn't feel like the best solution. Even if I had 10 additional people as co-owners. It would be ideal if we could find some way to separate ownership from our employees.

As an example, we're moving as an organisation away from a lot of 'applications' built in Excel. These are typically heavily customised spreadsheets with macros and VBA and so on, for which PowerApps is a much better solution.

But with Excel applications you could just copy them and 'deploy' them as needed. Ownership isn't a concept the user-developers have had to worry about in the past. My real challenge is how to introduce the concept along with some clear best practices.

I'd also like to understand how that guidance might differ with scale. For example, you don't want or need to have co-owners on a Flow that just runs for you as an individual, but if your Flow or PowerApp interacts with other people and content then you need to have co-owners.

I'm more concerned about the next scale, where we potentially develop an app for the entire enterprise, or one that we come to heavily rely on for some critical business process. That feels like it needs more than just a handful of colleagues with co-ownership.

It feels like this scenario isn't really catered for by the existing ownership model, and I wonder if the reason for that is perhaps that's not a scenario PowerApps is the best fit for?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,745)