cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Thomas_F
Level: Powered On

App users not able to edit excel source data from onedrive

Hi everyone, I have an issue with editing my excel source data within my app, I as the owner of the source data can view and edit the data but my colleague can only view it. He has edit access to the excel spreadsheet and the folder it is contained in but for some reason when he submits the form, it reverts back the the original value.

The formula I'm currently using to submit the form is SubmitForm(Form1_3);If(Form1_3.ErrorKind = ErrorKind.None,Navigate('A380 TO TRACKER DET',ScreenTransition.None))

I can't use google drive or drop box as these are blocked on the internal network.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thomas_F

Re: App users not able to edit excel source data from onedrive

Hi v-micsh-msft,

It's OneDrive for Business, I worked through the different permission types for the file and folder up to full control and it did not work, as you said, when the refresh failed it reverted back to the original value. He could change and save the data while in excel but not when using the app. He has user permission for the app but i did change that to contributer at one point to see if it would work and it didn't Smiley Sad

I recently got access for site creation in sharepoint so have imported the data from the spreadsheet into a sharepoint list and changed that to my data source, my colleague tried to edit it through the app and it worked Smiley Very Happy

It would be handy to be able to use OneDrive Business as a Data Source in the future though.

Thank you for the reply, it's much appreciated.

Kind regards

Thomas_F

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Thomas_F

Bump Smiley Happy

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Thomas_F,

Thanks for the Bump. Smiley Wink

When saying OneDrive, do you mean OneDrive for Business, or OneDrive for Personal?

If you are using OneDrive for Business, please make sure your colleague have the Edit permission (Share with him with the "can edit" selected) configured under the Excel source.(See here ).

The submitform function will revert back with the original value if the update fails.

I have configured some apps to use Excel stored in OneDrive for Business, and didn't encounter any issues.

By the way, what the level of permissions you have configrued when sharing your App?

Share an App

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Thomas_F

Hi v-micsh-msft,

It's OneDrive for Business, I worked through the different permission types for the file and folder up to full control and it did not work, as you said, when the refresh failed it reverted back to the original value. He could change and save the data while in excel but not when using the app. He has user permission for the app but i did change that to contributer at one point to see if it would work and it didn't Smiley Sad

I recently got access for site creation in sharepoint so have imported the data from the spreadsheet into a sharepoint list and changed that to my data source, my colleague tried to edit it through the app and it worked Smiley Very Happy

It would be handy to be able to use OneDrive Business as a Data Source in the future though.

Thank you for the reply, it's much appreciated.

Kind regards

Thomas_F

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Thomas_F,

Thank you for your feedback, and glad to hear that you have the app works.

In addition, could you please share about how you configured the sharing options under OneDrive for Business with your colleagues?

Please take a try to share the Excel file through the following ways:

Login OneDrive for Business, highlight the Excel file, click on the Sharing, this would call out the Details pane, under Sharing, add your colleague name into the sharing list and change the permission type to Can Edit:

7.PNG

Check to see if this would make it work.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Microsoft Employee

@v-micsh-msftI tried this apporach but it did not work. I have my source in an Excel sheet which is on my OneDrive for Business  and I want my app users to view and edit the data thru my app. They are unable to view or edit since the app is not pulling the data. However, the users I shared the file perms are able to modify the Excel sheet outside the app.

Need a better solution.

Ivan

I had the same problem. Moving the data source spreadsheet from a sub folder to the root of One Drive solved the problem.

Microsoft Employee

@IvanThanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 294 members 5,599 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: