cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

AppID Changed, breaking Prod setup & Flows

I have a strange issue. I edited and saved an app in preparation for a live push when the tweaks I've made are ready to go out.

AppID is supposed to be a unique GUID for the app, right? - this way we can deeplink from other apps or from email chains via Flow etc etc etc...
(deeplinking article here)

The AppID for this App has changed recently, breaking all the email links set up that are dependent on the AppID value being static.

Here's version history - the AppID in the emails was working (confirmed by me and the test users group) up until the changes I made on 26th April (it had been working up until the last email I received on 25th April, suggesting that it was the change on 26th April ).

image.png

Is this an expected action? I thought that no matter how many times I save/publish an App, it should have the same AppID/GUID (makes sense).

I have emails in my mailbox where I've clicked through successfully using the original AppID, that now present me with:

image.png

Can anyone shed any light as to how an AppID might change?

(I have not saved this app as a new App, so please don't even mention that as you can see in version history it has been working fine since it's creation in March)

Thanks!

ManCat

Flagging in @RandyHayes @wyotim @timl in case any of you have seen something like this before..

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: AppID Changed, breaking Prod setup & Flows

So... I've found one piece of evidence that points to me having re-created the app on the 21st after issues with the original. I still dont' understand how the older links were working for other users, but I will mark this as the solution for the moment.

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi ManCat,

I've not seen this problem before, but it does seem very odd.

I don't quite understand how an app id could change under these circumstances.

Tagging @Mr-Dang-MSFT - maybe Brian could provide some technical insight, or pass this onto someone that knows?

Super User
Super User

Yes, it's a bizarre issue... I thought I was going crazy or maybe that I had put the wrong AppID, but then I looked back at the SharePoint page I wrote for it's documentation the day after initial creation and:

image.png

...which matches the emails that have been going out:

image.png

and:

image.png

...but then if I look at the details page for that App, it's now:

image.png

Super User
Super User

So... I've found one piece of evidence that points to me having re-created the app on the 21st after issues with the original. I still dont' understand how the older links were working for other users, but I will mark this as the solution for the moment.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Two things I've learnt from this:

1. The downside to being able to create and re-create Apps in such a short space instead of the normal drawn-out process of development means that documentation can easily go out of date or be incorrect. (When are we getting automated documentation)

2. The users knew the link wasn't working and didn't raise it with me as an issue as they could get to PowerApps from web portal or from mobile. So you can't trust your users to raise issues and need to double/triple-check things yourself (regularly - thinking about creating some form of unit testing going forward for apps/flow to guarantee that results are as expected).

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,895)