cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Attachments on Entities in Model Driven Apps

Is there an option to add an attachment to an instance of an entity in CDS? I have an entity "Customer", and when the user is filling out the form on a model-driven app, the user should be able to attach a spreadsheet or other attachment. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff richdiMSFT
PowerApps Staff

Re: Attachments on Entities in Model Driven Apps

To enable the ability to add attachments to a model driven form you need to make sure the entity supports notes/attachements. This will start showing the timeline control where you can add a note and attach the spreadsheet or other attachment you mention. 

In the Entity editor got to settings for that entity check the "Enable attachments (including notes and files)" checkbox. 

Once this has been checked you need to add the "Timeline" control to the form. Open the form in the classic designer. Select the "Insert" tab on the ribbon and find the "Timeline" button. It is at the bottom of the stack below "Web Resource". Move this control where you want it then save and publish your form. 

You should now see the timeline control on your form. Clicking the paperclip icon will load the attachment dialog. 

Attached image of the timeline control below. 

Hope this helps,

Rich

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you want to attach an attachment within your Model-Driven form app?

If you want to attach an attachment within your Model-Driven form app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currnetly.

The Attachments functionality is not supported within Model-Driven form app. If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps Model-Driven form app, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, you could consider generate a standalone canvas app based on your "Customer" Entity. Then embed this canvans app into your Model-Driven app form. After that, you could use the embedded canvas app to edit the record in your Entity, then attach attachment files to the corresponding record.

More details about embedding a canvas app within Model-Driven form, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-general-availability-of-embedded-canvas-apps-in-model-driven-forms/

Note: Please make sure that you have enabled "Enable attachments (including notes and files)" option for your "Customer" Entity.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PowerApps Staff

To enable the ability to add attachments to a model driven form you need to make sure the entity supports notes/attachements. This will start showing the timeline control where you can add a note and attach the spreadsheet or other attachment you mention. 

In the Entity editor got to settings for that entity check the "Enable attachments (including notes and files)" checkbox. 

Once this has been checked you need to add the "Timeline" control to the form. Open the form in the classic designer. Select the "Insert" tab on the ribbon and find the "Timeline" button. It is at the bottom of the stack below "Web Resource". Move this control where you want it then save and publish your form. 

You should now see the timeline control on your form. Clicking the paperclip icon will load the attachment dialog. 

Attached image of the timeline control below. 

Hope this helps,

Rich

View solution in original post

Mei2019
Level: Powered On

Hi Rich,

I tried your method, but the "Timeline" button is unclickable (light gray). I have the "administrator" role. Why don't I have the permission? Do you know? 

image.png

Many thanks!

Mei2019

ctp-acb
Level: Power Up

Same problem on my side. Created entitiy form with attachments allowed, in classic view the timeline button is grayed out (am Administrator)

Please advise-

Thanks 

sis-ab

Mei2019,

I am having the same problem you are, where you able to find a solution?

Thanks

Aaron

Mei2019

Hi Aaron,

No, still haven't found a way to allow users to attach file(s) during each individual form at each stage. However, the attachment is allowed in the Timeline area. I tried to attach the screenshot hre but can't. 

Mei

PowerApps Staff

@Mei2019 Sorry I didn't see your reply to this thread. 

Make sure you have "Enable attachments (including notes and files)" checked in the entity settings page.

In the modern designer select the entity and click the settings button. Just above "More Setttings you should see the setting. For the older designer, on the entity information section on the general tab, Communications & collaboration section, there is a setting "Notes (including attachments).

Hope this helps,

Rich

Highlighted
PowerApps Staff

@Mei2019 The timeline is the only way at this time for adding attachements and files at this time. 

We are looking into making working with files and images easier so keep looking at the release notes. 

Hope this helps,

Ricb

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 292 members 3,432 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: