cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beebul
Level: Powered On

Authentication for user forms - nightmares!

I've just launched a range of forms for staff members to use and they can't access them. they're getting looped authentication issues. We're located in Australia.

This needs to be resolved or we will just stop using this product for good. By the way just HOW many times does Microsoft require someone to sign in - it's ridiculous.. 

I can't deal with all our hundreds of users individually - for example getting them to add *powerapps.com to trusted zone - these forms used to work fine.

Here are some of the errors.error_msg.jpg

Sign in required

A missing cookie prevented sign in for one of your services. To avoid signing in for each additional service, make sure third-party cookies are allowed in your browser. For Safari, disable "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" in the "Privacy and Security" section of settings. 

Sign in attempt failed. Error from ADAL.js: Error opening popup (Popup Window is null. This can happen if you are using IE)

Sorry, there's been a disconnect (not kidding, right!)

We can't find the page you're looking for. Please verify the link and try again.

And another...

Unable to obtain access token for resource 'https://service.powerapps.com/'. Error from ADAL.js: login_required (AADSTS50058: A silent sign-in request was sent but no user is signed in. The cookies used to represent the user's session were not sent in the request to Azure AD. This can happen if the user is using Internet Explorer or Edge, and the web app sending the silent sign-in request is in different IE security zone than the Azure AD endpoint (login.microsoftonline.com).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
beebul

Re: Authentication for user forms - nightmares!

Well it all comes down to trusted sites being manually added to IE to fix IE and Edge issues and Third Party Cookie exceptions being added to Chrome and Firefox.

For example if you want your users to be able to be able to use PowerApps and Microsoft Forms in Google Chrome without issue you need an organisation-wide policy to allow chrome to accept the following 3rd party cookies.

Chrome

login.microsoftonline.com

forms.office.com

apps.powerapps.com

powerapps.com

microsoftonline.com

However - I think that this needs to be communicated better on the Microsoft side – because lets say a person works on a form for a month and then rolls it out to an organisation and no-one else can load the form, that is a problem.

The error messages need to be more descriptive, for example, an error message that says “Sorry there has been a disconnect” doesn’t help me or the user… also in MS Forms when "forms.office.com" cookies is blocked the form loader just spins around forever and nothing happens, this is poor communication from the application side... how do you think our users are meant to report problems with no feedback from the application?

There needs to be clear messages ON SCREEN that say “We are having problems loading this content because your browser is blocking cookies – please contact your helpdesk”... or some such and then a link to a page that shows exactly what is required for all the main browsers.

I think this is actually a problem that needs work on the Microsoft side - because out-of-the-box browsers such as Firefox will not accept any third-party cookies by default.. so you are going to find lots of your customers having problems in the future.

Again we can't expect all of our thousands of users to have this knowledge in order to fill in a form!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
beebul

Just an update on this issue - it only seems to be a problem with the PowerApps PLAYER not the PowerApps studio.. We can edit the form in a browser that can't play the same form.

We are located in South Australia.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @beebul ,

Did you mean that this issue only happens in IE/Edge and not in other web browsers? Have you tested with another network environment?

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
beebul

No. All browsers have issues, just different error messasges.

I've been told it comes down to trusted zones needed to be added on IE - which fixes IE and Edge and third party cookies - or an exception for PowerApps. But this is an organisational change needs to be rolled out to our thousands of users and I first have to convince our IT department... which is not going to be easy. We can't expect our users to have to each manually configure their browsers just to fill a form in!

This could potentially be a show-stopper for us - and I may even just have to stop using PowerApps.

beebul

Well it all comes down to trusted sites being manually added to IE to fix IE and Edge issues and Third Party Cookie exceptions being added to Chrome and Firefox.

For example if you want your users to be able to be able to use PowerApps and Microsoft Forms in Google Chrome without issue you need an organisation-wide policy to allow chrome to accept the following 3rd party cookies.

Chrome

login.microsoftonline.com

forms.office.com

apps.powerapps.com

powerapps.com

microsoftonline.com

However - I think that this needs to be communicated better on the Microsoft side – because lets say a person works on a form for a month and then rolls it out to an organisation and no-one else can load the form, that is a problem.

The error messages need to be more descriptive, for example, an error message that says “Sorry there has been a disconnect” doesn’t help me or the user… also in MS Forms when "forms.office.com" cookies is blocked the form loader just spins around forever and nothing happens, this is poor communication from the application side... how do you think our users are meant to report problems with no feedback from the application?

There needs to be clear messages ON SCREEN that say “We are having problems loading this content because your browser is blocking cookies – please contact your helpdesk”... or some such and then a link to a page that shows exactly what is required for all the main browsers.

I think this is actually a problem that needs work on the Microsoft side - because out-of-the-box browsers such as Firefox will not accept any third-party cookies by default.. so you are going to find lots of your customers having problems in the future.

Again we can't expect all of our thousands of users to have this knowledge in order to fill in a form!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Hi @beebul I'm very sorry you experienced this frustrating issue but I appreciate you making us aware of this. I will review with the team 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

AndrewSmith84

I had this issue today for a user, this is on IE11 on Windows 10 1903 (17763)

Internet Option > Advanced > Restore default settings > Reset > Tick for personal and then re-launch IE and the app works fine.

Thanks

beebul

Works for individuals, we have hundreds of users and they could be using IE, Edge, Chrome or Firefox.

We're not the IT department and you shouldn't need to manually fix the machine of every person that potentially might use your apps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,307)