cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

BUG: forced to PowerApps preview screen with E3 License

Hi PowerApps Team,

All my user are forced to a PowerApps Plan 2 Trial screen when they try to start an app. It's not possible to cancel and carry on with the app, but then have to start the trial.

We have E3 licenses for all our users and PowerApps Plan 2 trial is disabled.

So WHY is this happening and WHY can't we cancel and carry on with our default license.

This is starting to getting annoying so fix this issue!  

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: BUG: forced to PowerApps preview screen with E3 License

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've been away.

Yes, all users would need at least a Plan 1 license to be able to use the on-premises gateway.

The on-premises gateway only works against the default environment. But from what I've heard in the past, I think it might be possible to ask Microsoft to configure your setup so that it works against your new custom enviroment.

I'd raise a support ticket here to see if that's possible.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Tim

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Super User
Super User

Hi Paul,

Does your app use any 'premium connectors', or does it use the on-premises gateway? These are the probably the 2 most common reasons why a user would be prompted to start a Plan 2 trial.

KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

Hi Tim,

Yes we use an on premise gateway, but it's to a SQL Server which is included in plan 1. No premium connectors here.

So it should all work with plan 1, don't you agree.

Paul
Super User
Super User

Hi Paul,

Yes, I agree that this should work with Plan 1.

This sounds like a bug to me. Maybe @TopShelf-MSFT or @Mr-Dang-MSFT could help escalate this issue.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @KroonOfficeSol ,

Do your end users use Office 365 Enterprise  E3 license to access PowerApps?

Do your end users own individual PowerApps Plan 1 license?

Currently, within PowerApps, accessing On-premise data (using On-premise data gateway) is not supported/available in Office 365 include PowerApps licenses.

Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-office-3651.JPG

If your end users want to access/use your shared app including a On-premise data connector, they must own individual PowerApps Plan 1 license at least for their account.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

@v-xida-msft 

I see what you mean, but then the changed this recently. It always uses to be that Plan 1 was included in Business Essentials/Premium and E3 licenses. Also, we are running apps now for over a year without a problem.

He @TopShelf-MSFT & @Mr-Dang-MSFT , do you know why this is changed?

Greatings, Paul

Super User
Super User

Hi Paul,

My understanding is that the Office 365 and Plan 1 licenses have always been distinct plans. (ie Plan 1 has never been included with E3 etc)

In February, access to the on-premises gateway through the Office 365 plan was removed and I think this is the reason behind the problem. That said, you should have received dispensation to continue using SQL Server until Jan 2020, so I don't fully understand this problem. Here's a thread with further details.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/td-p/187283

At this point, I think you might get a more accurate/expedient answer if you were to raise a support ticket here:

If you do find the answer, perhaps you could let us know in case other people experience the same problem.

Good luck!

KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

Hi Tim,

Oké I understand what you say and how the change has an effect on the license. One question is it enough to buy one Plan 2 license or must all the users have also a Plan 1 license to be able to use the on-premise connector.

Hope you can clear things up for me, thanks,

Paul

KroonOfficeSol
Level 10

Hi @timl

I still have the question on the need to have Plan 1 for my users to be able to use the datagateway. So if you can help me here, please.

Also, I wonder about something else, which is: Now I purchased a Plan 2 License and in a Plan 2 license I am able to set-up another environment, which I like to use to better secure my SQL Server Datasource. But a limitation is that it is not possible to install and use a datagateway in/from this custom environment. So basically Microsoft takes the datagateway out of the PowerApps for Office365 and force their customers to upgrade, but the core benefit of the Plan 2 license is not supported as it goes for an on-premise server? Am I right here?

What's your insights on this topic, Tim?

@TopShelf-MSFT  & @Mr-Dang-MSFT , and how do you look at this guys? 

Hope for your feedback,

Paul

Super User
Super User

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've been away.

Yes, all users would need at least a Plan 1 license to be able to use the on-premises gateway.

The on-premises gateway only works against the default environment. But from what I've heard in the past, I think it might be possible to ask Microsoft to configure your setup so that it works against your new custom enviroment.

I'd raise a support ticket here to see if that's possible.

Tim

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,432)