cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PAuser275
Level: Power Up

Barcode scanning - not working on iPhones

Hi there, 

I've created an app with the Barcode control. I did a bit of testing on the Surface Pro and it works well with the back camera.

I've tried to open the app on the iPhone and the auto detection rectangle doesn't appear. Tested on iPhone 5S, 6S, and 7. I've also noticed that the camera doesn't adjust its focus.

Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Barcode scanning - not working on iPhones

Hi PAuser275,

It seems that it is a know limitation. I have seen an article about “Create a barcode scanning app in minutes!”, the article link is:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/make-barcode-scanning-apps-in-minutes/

This section in this article says that iOS has lower success rates than Android devices due to memory limitations. So please try to set the scanner width and height to 640*700 or lower and scan rate of 30 to avoid such errors.

scanner.PNG

You could also try it on an Android phone. Hope this could be a reference for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
esoPowerUser
Level: Powered On

I have tried the Barcode Control suggestion with 640*700 and scan rate of <=30 but it does not seem to work on my iPhone 7 with 32 GB iOS 10.2.1. ShowliveDetection = true, but the live dectection frames is not visible in App.

However, for the same App,  Autodetection  and the bar code detection itself works fine on a

internal web cam on Dell Laptop, but then not on the iPhone 7.

Could this be a bug in PowerApps, or possible something
unsupported on iPhone?

By the way, Thank you very much for a great product, and a helpful forum! Thanks!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi EsoPowerUser,

Could you provide a sample of a barcode not working? Exact physical size and type. May be too small or a type that is not supported.
We will take a further investigation on it.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have iPhone 6 S and the bard code reader doesn't work at all in my phone. I tried different sizes, rates (20,30,35,60), it just doesn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Googled "ean example". The app on my iphone 6 doesnt recognize any of the example. I have tried on printed surfaces as well, it just doesnt work.

Highlighted
esoPowerUser

Hi, thank you for the quick reply, and sorry for my late response.

Here are som details. ( It is working on my laptop with internal web cam , but not working on my iPhone app )

PowerApps version IOS:  2.0.590

IOS: 10.2.1

Height: 700

Width: 624

ScanRate: 30

mayurdharukiya
Level: Power Up

Configurations tried :

Scanrate : 30 25  20 15

Dimension: 640x700 , 640 * 650 , 640 * 600

Barcode Types Tried: codabar ,code128,code39,ean,i2of5 and up

Scan indicator does not show up at all. 

Is there anybody from Microsoft reply to this post?

JRaasumaa
Level 10

@v-yamao-msft

The barcode scanning has just plain stopped working on all of our iPhones and iPads, no setting changes has resolved this.

Similar to @mayurdharukiya, we've tried multiple configurations but nothing shows up on the camera screen showing an indicator it is trying to scan.

Android devices are not impacted.

BenHoward

Hi all,

I am experiancing exactly the same issue. No scanner indicator, can not scan any barcode type of any size. Followed all instructions in the article. Tried on IPad Air 2 with latest IOS and IPhone 6. Works ok on webcam.

Desperate for this to work! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,987)