cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ovetteabejuela
Level: Powered On

Before I Invest my Hours Learning PowerApps...

What convinced you to switch to PowerApps? I mean besides it being almost code-free?

I'm not sure if I should switch to PowerApps if I'm currently using Infopath.

Is it a full blown app? or is going to be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Before I Invest my Hours Learning PowerApps...

Hi again @ovetteabejuela.

I have made the switch already from Access Web Apps to PowerApps with an Azure SQL DB (=SQL Server) and SharePoint library back end.  I am very happy to have done so.

Whether you make the switch now or later depends on whether there are things that you need to do that you would not be able to easily do in PowerApps, so difficult for me to comment from the outside.

Basically I would keep the SharePoint back-end but migrate Excel data storage and Access to SQL Server or SharePoint.  I would use PowerApps for forms and simple reporting, and use Excel / Power BI for the real reporting.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @ovetteabejuela

PowerApps is still a teen-ager (got out of infancy with the latest release), but it is great fun once you get your head around the way it works (being event/data driven rather than programmed)

I use it as the front-end for an Azure SQL DB back-end.  There are limitations, but they are outwayed by the possibilities of mixing data sources, since I now have thrown in a SharePoint library as back-end as well.

If you intend to use SQL Server/Azure SQL DB as a back-end please let me know as there are a few work-arounds currently needed for some issues.  However I know that these issues are being worked on and will be resolved in the coming weeks/months.

Hope this helps.

Meneghino

ovetteabejuela

We are a huge organization even my own department is huge/global. So some parts are already in SQL Server but our department is definitely going to have SQL or have a piece in one of our SQL servers.

Currently what we are utilizing for data storage is mostly Excel, some Access and some Sharepoint. For reporting Excel and PowerBI (there are other reporting tools, but as I mentioned we are huge so I'm not sure what else is out there).

I am a VBA developer so I am hoping that I could find most if not all in PowerApps what I am currently enjoing in VBA and that is flexibility. It's almost like I'm free to do anything with it in exchange of hours of coding which delays deployment time. But this is the advantage of PowerApps lesser code. Which is also what I'm afraid of, maybe lesser code is equal to lesser flexibility?

I'm not really sure that is why I'm trying to ask from someone like you who has the experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience @Meneghino, it would help me to decide. Definitely PowerApps will improve but should I switch now or later?

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi again @ovetteabejuela.

I have made the switch already from Access Web Apps to PowerApps with an Azure SQL DB (=SQL Server) and SharePoint library back end.  I am very happy to have done so.

Whether you make the switch now or later depends on whether there are things that you need to do that you would not be able to easily do in PowerApps, so difficult for me to comment from the outside.

Basically I would keep the SharePoint back-end but migrate Excel data storage and Access to SQL Server or SharePoint.  I would use PowerApps for forms and simple reporting, and use Excel / Power BI for the real reporting.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

ovetteabejuela

Thanks @Meneghino, actually that does make sense. My plan was to make use of PowerApps to collect(and show) information this is much more convenient than a shared workbook. Yes Excel will always be there for reporting I guess it something that can't be rid off easily it's jsut the right tool for AdHoc reporting and PowerBI is actually our future for reporting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The no-code aspect of PowerApps is both a real strong point and weak point of it. It depends on your circumstances

On the plus side, the no-code approach allows for seriously rapid development. In my context we are working primarily with SharePoint as data store. I have done apps and forms using purely javascript in that in the past. Huge flexibility, but also quite time consuming, which is not ideal for smaller forms where the business is chasing a quick deployment. Compare that to Powerapps which allows us to really rapidly create simple forms with added functionality. Couple this with MS Flow, it basically replaces what will eventually be deprecated SharePoint workflows for approvals etc.

The weak side of this approach is the flexibility aspect. In the context of javascript development for sharepoint, there's countless frameworks and plugins out there that allow you to build unique (whether it be functionality, or UI) solutions tailored to exactly what your audience requires. With powerapps on the other hand, you only get a handful of tools that are given. I try to approach it positively though, and think of it more as a forced approach to look at these elements "outside the box". 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,957)