cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goobernoodles
Level: Powered On

Best Destination Data Soure for Uploading Images To

I'm working on a PowerApp for photo documentation of construction job sites for various purposes.  Currently, images are submitted to a Sharepoint list as "attachments" by the app.  Since I was already using Azure SQL as a source for selectable metadata fields (such as selecting the job), I tested out uploading photos to image column which worked, although it was much slower than with Sharepoint as a destination.  I'm on the lowest tiered Azure SQL database there is, so that makes sense.

It should be noted that Sharepoint is not the final destination, however I'm only concerened about the performance of taking photos, and being able to be "done" and reliably getting the data to the destination.  As the app is currently configured, a Flow runs every time a new row is added to the destination Sharepoint list, which saves each attachment file (.jpg) to that job's on-prem folder on our file server. I'm hoping to work in offline capabilities, with perhaps a default to not uploading unless on wifi which I think is doable.

If anyone has any input on performance levels of various possible destination "data sources" or any other questions/input, I'm all ears. 

Side note - I feel as though the term "Data Sources" gives the wrong idea that they are read-only.  Perhaps "Data Repository" or something along those lines would make more sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff rc
PowerApps Staff

Re: Best Destination Data Soure for Uploading Images To

One of the fastest and most robust options for storing images today is Azure Blob Storage -- there's a great blog on how to do it here: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/upload-files-from-powerapps-using-the-azure-blob-storage-...

Thanks for the input on "data sources," we are thinking about some ways to clean up this experience now 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PowerApps Staff rc
PowerApps Staff

One of the fastest and most robust options for storing images today is Azure Blob Storage -- there's a great blog on how to do it here: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/upload-files-from-powerapps-using-the-azure-blob-storage-...

Thanks for the input on "data sources," we are thinking about some ways to clean up this experience now 🙂

View solution in original post

goobernoodles
Level: Powered On

Thank you, I'll take a look!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 133 members 1,957 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: