cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpl123
Level: Powered On

Best practice for working with data in SQL Server

Hi

I'm looking for someone to confirm that the following is possible.

I have a table (Product) sitting in a Azure VM with a SQL Server 2016 installed. The SQL Server is acessible through an endpoint and i can connect to the table in Power Apps. Now in that table i have some rows that i would like to be able to edit - from an end user point of view.

So question 1 is - is that possible using PowerApps?

What i found so far is that it's possible to change data IF it's in a sharepoint list, but 'm looking for a solution where i want to be able to edit/add a row in the product table in the SQL Server. So far noone seems to have tried that out (any video around would be appreciated)

In PowerApps i can see that i can add a Forms -> Entity Form (experimental) where it is then possible to edit/add a row in a table BUT it then needs to reside in the Common Data Service, which is then not accecible from a SQL Server.....or how would you then get the information from CDS into the SQL Server Product table (which is where the rest of the ERP system resides) ?

And does Experimental mean that it's probably going to be decomissioned anytime soon ?

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Best practice for working with data in SQL Server

Hi @cpl123,

Yes, it is possible to use PowerApps to edit corresponding rows in PowerApps.

Follow the article below to connect to the table in SQL Server:

Connect from Microsoft PowerApps to SQL Server

There would be three screen generated, after selecting the corresponding row, then we could edit it with the editform control:

Understand data forms in Microsoft PowerApps

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,821)