cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wingers1290
Level: Powered On

Bizarre Camera issue

Hi all, having an infurating issue with the camera.

My app is fixed to portrait orientation, and my device is Surface Pro 4. I added the camera control, and it displays correctly, however, the image is constantly inverted, i.e., I see myself on the ceiling, when I am not. Turning the device does little, since it snaps to the other portrait mode when I turn it 180 degrees.

there is no way to "rotate" the camera control, but I really don't understand why this is happening. Has anyone expereinced this before?

I've added a screen shot to demonstrate. In the screen, I am holding the device in portrait, looking at a wall. As you can see, everything is not as it should be. It's like the camera control can only work in landscape, even when the app is fixed to portrait.Untitled picture.png

21 REPLIES 21
wingers1290

Re: Bizarre Camera issue

Just to add, I tried unfixing the orientation, and when I help the device in Landscape mode (upside down, with front camera on bottom) the image was the right way up. However, it's still inverted, like I'm looking in a mirror. Moving the camera left moves the image right.

Even so, I need portrait orientation for my app to work. Is it not possible to do this?!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @wingers1290,

I tried the Portrait Orientation and lock, confirmed the issue you mentioned.

Testing devie is Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 home version, using the PowerApps web portal.

For the first time, the camera control would show camera in the wrong direction, that should be casued by the Portrait mode, move the Surface Pro 4 upright and back again would make it right.

For the moving part, the issue exists on my side also, currently I have no idea.

I will make some tests further once the device is available.

You may take a try to switch the Camera ID (value should be 0,1, 2) property of the Camera control and see if it would help.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
wingers1290

Thanks, I am using Surface Pro 4. I have tried rotating the device to re-orient it, but I never get a "right way up" picture.

I have the same effect on each camera on the Pro (Camera IDs 1 & 2)

mr-dang
Level 10

This is true for Surface Book as well.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
wingers1290

I will try this on an Apple device. My thinking is it's a powerapps issue, not a device issue.

MelindaK
Level 8

Any news on this strange issue?

I have an app in portrait mode and I am using a camera control to take pictures. However, in order to take the picture in the right orientation, I need to turn the tablet in landscape mode to take the picture and then reverse it back to portrait mode to view the picture. 

The app orientation is locked to portrait, so the screen UI will remain the same, only the tablet will be rotated to landscape.

I also have another app which is in landscape mode and the camera works perfectly fine.

I have a Dell Inc. Venue 11 Pro 5130 tablet with Windows 8.1. running the app through PowerApps studio.

MelindaK
JRaasumaa
Level 10

@wingers1290 wrote:

I will try this on an Apple device. My thinking is it's a powerapps issue, not a device issue.

Reporting in that we also have this issue on all of our iPads.

Occasionally the image decides on it's own to change orientation when being captured. 

MelindaK
Level 8

I've done some more testing with some more devices and it seems that the problem only appears when the device default orientation is landscape.

The app on a Samsung S8 phone works as expected with the camera in the right direction (portrait), but on the Dell tablet (which is by default a landscape device) the camera is also orientated as landscape even if the app itself is set to Portrait.

MelindaK
UriS

I've experienced the same issue on iPhone 6S.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 297 members 4,651 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: