cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
srizvi
Level: Powered On

Build string using a loop and pass the string as a parameter to the Table() function

I want to build a string in the format required by the Table function.

This string will build uniquely for the current user facing record.

Note: Below code is rough draft. I need to accomplish something along those lines using Powerapps.

//Code

Set(BuildString, "");

Set(CurrentIndex, 0);

Set(TestString, "a,b,c,d");

Set(OccurancesOfDelimiter, ....); //Also need a way to retrieve occurances of a character in a TestString

Set(Counter, 0); DoUntil(OccurancesOfDelimiters, Set(Counter, Counter + 1); Set(CurrentValue, Mid(TestString, CurrentIndex, Find(",", TestString) - 1)); Set(BuildTable, BuildTable&"{Text:" &Char(34)&CurrentValue&Char(34)&","&"Val:"&Counter&"}"&", ") Set(CurrentIndex, Find(",", TestString, CurentIndex + 1)) ); Set(BuiltTable, Table(BuildTable))

There are two things I need from Powerapps to accomplish this.

1.) Find occurance of a character in a string. e.x For String x = "a,b,c,d"; If i did an operation to find how many occurances of commas there exists on X, then the return value should be 3.

2.) A way to loop X amount of times

3.) To be able to build a string and it pass as a parameter to Table() function.

Appreciate the help. 

- Syed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Build string using a loop and pass the string as a parameter to the Table() function

Hi @srizvi,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

For your first question, do you want to retrieve the occurances of commas existed on a string (e.g "a,b,c,d")?

If you want to retrieve the occurances of commas existed on a string (e.g "a,b,c,d"), I think the Split function could achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

In order to retrieve the number of commas existed within a string, set the Text property of the Label control to following formula:

CountRows(Split(TextInput1.Text,","))-1

On your side, you should type the following formula:

CountRows(Split(TestString,","))-1

Note: The TextString represents the String X that you mentioned.

For your second question, do you want to loop the character separated via a comma within the TestString (X)? 

If you want to loop the character separated via a comma within the TestString (X), I think the ForAll function (the only way to achieve a loop within PowerApps currently) could achieve your needs.

More details about ForAll function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

ForAll function

For your third question, do you want to build a string (e.g. {Text: "a", Val:1} ) using a loop and psss it as a parameter to Table() function?

In addition, If you want to achieve your needs using Table function, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs within PowerApps currently. Because the Set(Counter, Counter + 1) formula could not invoked within the ForAll function.

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to use a Collection to achieve your needs instead of Table function. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:2.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the "Build String" button to following formula:

Clear(TestString);
ForAll(
Split(TextInput1.Text,","),Collect(TestString,{Text:Result,Val:CountRows(TestString)+1})
)

Clear(TestString);
ForAll(
Split(X,","),Collect(TestString,{Text:Result,Val:CountRows(TestString)+1})
)

Note: The X represents the variable X that you mentioned.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Build string using a loop and pass the string as a parameter to the Table() function

Hi @srizvi,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

For your first question, do you want to retrieve the occurances of commas existed on a string (e.g "a,b,c,d")?

If you want to retrieve the occurances of commas existed on a string (e.g "a,b,c,d"), I think the Split function could achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

In order to retrieve the number of commas existed within a string, set the Text property of the Label control to following formula:

CountRows(Split(TextInput1.Text,","))-1

CountRows(Split(TestString,","))-1

Note: The TextString represents the String X that you mentioned.

For your second question, do you want to loop the character separated via a comma within the TestString (X)? 

If you want to loop the character separated via a comma within the TestString (X), I think the ForAll function (the only way to achieve a loop within PowerApps currently) could achieve your needs.

More details about ForAll function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

ForAll function

For your third question, do you want to build a string (e.g. {Text: "a", Val:1} ) using a loop and psss it as a parameter to Table() function?

In addition, If you want to achieve your needs using Table function, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs within PowerApps currently. Because the Set(Counter, Counter + 1) formula could not invoked within the ForAll function.

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to use a Collection to achieve your needs instead of Table function. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:2.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the "Build String" button to following formula:

Clear(TestString);
ForAll(
Split(TextInput1.Text,","),Collect(TestString,{Text:Result,Val:CountRows(TestString)+1})
)

Clear(TestString);
ForAll(
Split(X,","),Collect(TestString,{Text:Result,Val:CountRows(TestString)+1})
)

Note: The X represents the variable X that you mentioned.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

srizvi
Level: Powered On

Thanks Kris!

I did not know the Split function parsed a string into a table of strings, Result. This works perfectly with the ForAll function. I tried your solution on my end and it works. I marked your post as the solution.

- Syed

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,898)