cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timvancleave
Level: Powered On

Building a Custom API for a PowerApp to connect to an internal only legacy data system

Hello! I'm currently working on a project to build a PowerApp using data from one of our internal business systems and am hoping to make sure that I've got the right idea on whether or not this is possible with PowerApps today. Because of a huge amount of business logic that happens with the source system we need to use the SOAP API from the legacy system vs. the PowerApps database connector (there's just way too much logic that we can't change within the source system that would be ignored if we did direct database connections). 

Is it possible to build a custom API (presumably hosted in Azure and connected to our internal network with an Azure Gateway) that would interface with the internal-network-only SOAP services from the legacy system and then expose a REST API to be used by a PowerApp? I found https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/register-custom-api/ and other supporting docs that seemed to indicate that it is but after the last couple of months wanted to make sure I was the on the level with that approach. 

As a bonus we have a Government O365 and Azure subscription which bring certain challenges to what is available, do you guys have any insight into other challenges that might be caused by having Government subscriptions? We're working on getting Commercial Azure right now but we've had some trouble getting a straight answer as to what is available within the Government space for certain things.

I would hugely appreciate any thoughts or help you might be able to provide, thanks!

Tim

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Building a Custom API for a PowerApp to connect to an internal only legacy data system

Hi @timvancleave,

I will escalate your issue to pg and will update if I got further reply.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
timvancleave
Level: Powered On

Re: Building a Custom API for a PowerApp to connect to an internal only legacy data system

Hi Mona,

Have you had a chance to check into this further? After some extra research with my team it looks like we might need to use multiple different record types within the power app and I'm wondering if those should just be set up as individual Custom APIs so that each one can be it's own datasource and hopefully be used in the app. Can PowerApps use multiple related records of different types when using a custom api?

dipankar2308
Level: Power Up

Hi Mona,

I am trying to create a PowerApp which connects to an in-house REST API.

Since this is the closest discussion around the topic, it would be great if you let us know of a suitable way to implement this.

Appreciate your early response.

Best,

Dipankar

Super User
Super User

Hi @dipankar2308

The following blog post contains details on how to connect to custom APIs.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/brand-new-custom-api-experience-in-powerapps/

You can also refer to my post here, which includes C# code that you can adapt to suit your needs.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connectors/How-to-build-a-web-service-method-that-accepts-a-tabl...

dipankar2308
Level: Power Up

Thanks for your response @timl. I have already gone through the steps to connect to custom API's that are hosted on Azure.

What I am trying to do now is to connect to In-house RESTful web services. These are not accessible outside of the Company network.

I came across this blog which describes the steps to create a MS Azure Virtual network and connect to an internal network through VPN, but I am not completely sure if this is the right direction to move towards.

Best,

Dipankar

Super User
Super User

Hi @dipankar2308

The way to connect to internal RESTful services is to install and to access your services via the on-premises data gateway.

When you create your custom connector, you can tick the option to connect via the gateway.

OnPremisesGateway.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,458)