Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bradcarmichael
Level: Power Up

Button search/filtering of gallery in addition to standard text search

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a basic question, I am pretty new to powerapps and I have been given the task of tweaking the UI of a prototype app that was put together by another team member. Basically this is intended to be a Contacts app that has a list of all of our staff with their names, email addresses, contact numbers, divisions, etc pulled from a sharepoint data source.

At the moment the text search works fine with no issues, however I have also introduced a vertical navigation bar that is made up with 26 buttons representing each letter of the alphabet. The idea is that if a user taps say the letter B that the gallery will automatically filter to show all names entries that start with the letter B.

I spent some time playing around with trying to make some differrent functions works on the OnSelect section on a button. An example is as follows on a button object called VertNaviB that has a text value of B defined:   

Filter(Contacts, StartsWith(Title, VertNaviB.Text))

From what I understand, Title is linked to the name column in the sharepoint data source. Other variations of the above did not appear to trigger anything in the gallery object as well.

I have been reading/watching support material further and I am thinking that I need to modify the search/filter function on the Gallery itself with additional conditions? I am just not sure how to go about it or if my thinking is correct. Below is what is currently in place on the Gallery object:

SortByColumns(

Search(

Contacts, TextSearchBox.Text, "Title"), "ID", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

Long story short, I want to maintain the type search functionality for users and also have the alphabetical filtering as well as an alternative search option.

Cheers,

Brad

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Button search/filtering of gallery in addition to standard text search

Hi @bradcarmichael 

SortByColumns(Search(Filter(Contacts,StartsWith(Title, VertNaviB.Text)) ,TextSearchBox.Text, "Title"), "ID", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

prajyot
Level 8

Hello ,

Try below formula for 'B' button onselect.

Sort(Filter(Contacts, StartsWith(Title,TextSearchBox.Text)) , Title)

Thanks,
Prajyot M

bradcarmichael

Hi Reza,

Thank you for your response. The Gallery does end up automatically sorting to show all contacts starting with B when I launch the app, however I want this sorting to only kick in when the B navigation button is pressed (eg: VertNaviB) for instance. And then all contacts to sort by C when VertNaviC button is pressed and so forth.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Brad

bradcarmichael

Hi Prajyot,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately nothing appears to happen when the B button is pressed when that formula is added to the onselect of that button.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Brad

prajyot
Level 8

Sort(Filter(Contacts, StartsWith(Title,TextSearchBox.Text),"ID", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending)) , Title)

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 93 members 4,952 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: