Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Power Automate Staff audrieg
Power Automate Staff

CDM Storage

Two CDM questions:

-Is entity data for CDM stored in SQL Azure?

-Can we create 'entity lists' connected to that data on SharePoint like we used to do on prem (in the days of BCS)?

thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Steelman70
Level 10

Re: CDM Storage

Audrie: very good questions.  Please allow me to add a related one:

-How can we consume CDM data in Excel via PowerQuery?

hpkeong
Level 10

HI Steelman:

I am not sure what is PowerQuery.

But as I know, once data are stored in CDM, we can Export to Excel, and in MS 2016 & 2013, Microsoft PowerApps Add-ins are available and tirggered automatically. (If not, we can still look or add-ins under Developer Tab).

As long as the username is the same of your apps in powerapps, it will be able to either:

- Refresh (manually, though I wish they can have features for auto-refresh just like Data-Refresh setting)

- Publish (data from Excel back to CDM).

Hope I am replying the right things to your doubts.

hpkeong
Steelman70
Level 10

Hi hpkeong.  Power Query is a very powerful Excel functionality to import and analyse large amounts of data.  You can then create all the reports and charts you need in Excel or in Power BI.  Power Query is at the root of Power BI.

Please see here for an overview: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Getting-Started-with-Get-Transform-in-Excel-2016-a8310388-2...

It already works with Azure DBs and SharePoint lists as sources but it is not clear how to use CDM as a source.

hpkeong
Level 10

Hi Steelman:

Thanks for info.

Maybe we are referring to the same thing: Get & Transform = Data.NewQuery = Power Query!

In fact, because of awaiting of PRINTING features, myself, Dang (USA) and Taufik(Indonesia) has exchanged ideas and also found things like these:

1. New Query (works the best in Office 2016, Not 2013)

- Additional Excel is created to Refresh (manual or automativaclly) with Excel in Cloud (DB, OD or GD)

- Printing report form Additional Excel

- Reason: avoid corrupt original Excel in Cloud (esp. Dropbox excel file will crash).

Then, later, we found better solution in

2. Excel 2013 and 2016m, under CDM

- Export Excel and automatically, the Add-in features under Developer Tab, will automatically pop-up Microsoft Powerapps

- When this is linked to the same acc, data can be Refresh or even Publish.

- While the Excel is OPENED, any incoming data can be refreshed without causing crash file

- Moreover, if this Excel file is moved from Download folder to, say, company server, everyone can utilize the Excel file for further manipulation

And, now, with advice from Taufik (Indonesia)

3. PowerBI will be the best solution for creating Graph and Table:

- Once connection to PowerBI with PowerApps is completed in Q4 (as mentioned by PG), then

- By importing Excel file (exported from CDM, Dropbox or maybe from entity..hope so), PowerBI Web (or Desktop) will be able to create fantatic analytic graph, tables (better than PowerPivot), with interative features.

- Whenever data are appended into Excel or CDM, PowerBI Graph will refresh automatically

- PowerBI Dashboard can be view either in Landscape (Tablet) or Portrait (Phone) modes easily.

I wish these are info which three of us had exchanged ideas in PM and hopefully can be useful to those who aer exploring like us.

Hope these helps and shared!.

hpkeong
Steelman70
Level 10

Hi hpkeong, indeed I think it is all the same and I agree that it obviates the urgent need for printing in PowerApps.

However, the questions by Audrie and me remain as to how to be able to consume the CDM data in SharePoint and Excel.

Any input from the programme team on this would be helpful.

hpkeong
Level 10

HI Steelman

Yes, agree.

Do support on PowerIdeas on Printing features.

Thanks

hpkeong

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,862)