cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

CUSTOM CONNECTORS: No multiple GET's using same URL?

So... this one kind of hurts. I hope I'm doing something wrong. 

Scenario:

I hope I'm just doing something incorrectly because, the result of this, is that I need a Custom Connector FOR EACH GET REQUEST! Even though its the same URL just additional parameters tacked on. 

The result is that my Users must authenticate to 4 (yep, one for POST too) Custom Connectors the first time they use the app. NOT FUN. 

Does anyone else have a solution for this? Maybe something to do with base URL ?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: CUSTOM CONNECTORS: No multiple GET's using same URL?

HI @ericonline ,

Why do you add one operation for each of your three Requests (that you mentioned) within your custom connector?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think it is not necessary to add one operation for each of your three Requests (that you mentioned) within your custom connector.

On your side, you just need to add single one operation for your third Request (https://mycompany.com/api?param1=yadda&param2=yah&param3=yougetit) within your custom connector, then eidt these Query parameters and set the Visibility property of theses Query Parameters (param1, param2 and param3) as advanced:5.JPG

then when you call your custom connector actions within your app, you could specify these query parameters optionally rather than mandatory.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Hi @v-xida-msft 

The reason why @ericonline needs 3 Get operations is because depending on the arguments that he passes to his API, the schema that the API returns will be different. Unless I misunderstand you, how would you configure the 'response' part of a single operation to support multiple schemas?

Super User
Super User

@v-xida-msft , Thank you for the advice. 

At first, I did try adding a single custom connector with all three parameters at first. I did not try setting the parameters to "advanced". (Thats a cool tip to know!)

The question is, which of the 3 schemas do I paste into the Response example? Each is different based on the parameters sent.

Super User
Super User

Hi @ericonline 

I've just been watching Mark Wood's Zapier talk at the 'PowerApps Virtual Summit' (it was a great talk!).

https://zapier.com/

Although I've not used this, it seems that it might be possible to 'proxy' your 3 calls via a single custom connectiont to Zapier. Perhaps this might be worth investigating?

Super User
Super User

Thanks for the idea @timl .
My org is pretty "3rd party averse". Its challenging as is to get PowerPlatform sanctioning!

I'm wondering if there is a way to architect JSON responses to make them more "Custom Connector/PowerApps friendly".

Some ideas you, I and others have already learned:

• Flatten the JSON Response (hierarchy) as much as possible (2 levels deep, 3 at the most)
  • Keep schemas the same for multiple GET requests (unfortunately, you'd have to have different URL's for each GET request to use a single CC)

I'd REALLY LOVE to hear from someone on the PowerApps team on that.
PS: Zapier has a killer remote working blog too. 

joshbooker
Level 8

@ericonline

I think what you need to try is using the x-ms-dynamic-schema vendor extension in your swagger.

It's not fun or easy and there are zero samples of using this in PowerApps but I believe the only way to get PA to fetch the schema dynamically.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/openapi-extensions

Also, good luck getting a team member to chime in on custom connectors.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/openapi-extensions

Lastly, FWIW, There is supposted to be new and improved guidance docs on Custom Connectors being resleased in the the 'April 19 release' timeframe, but I haven't found anything yet - prolly still forthcoming.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/cdm-data-integration/co...

HTH,

Josh 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,510)