cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Philip2
Level: Power Up

Can Mutliple Users connect to an Excel file simultaneously with PowerApps?

I want to have a customer list edited by many users at the same time with PowerApps. This customer list is an Excel file, which I have on Onedrive. It's neccesary to update the records and create new ones.

Is this possible or can problems arrise by using the same file for all users?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Level 8

Re: Can Mutliple Users connect to an Excel file simultaneously with PowerApps?

@Philip2 

Yes, Sharepoint is a much better solution when considering the quantity of customers and users.  Run away from Excel and don't look backwards in this situation!  Cat Happy

Sharepoint has a SQL-based backend so its built to handle many users and performs well with medium-sized datasets (such as your customer list).

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

OneDrive supports live coauthoring for Office files, so you should be able to have multiple users edit the file at the same time.  Be aware that once you get above 5 concurrent authors you will start seeing performance drains. But yes it should work for multiple users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
mdevaney
Level 8

@Philip2
In addition to what @Pstork1 has said there are other considerations when using an Excel file

Delegation - maximum row limit of 500 records. (2000 if you increase the setting)
Security - user can write directly into the Excel sheet bypassing PowerApps and even delete the file entirely
Performance - on large datasets the speed will be much slower than SharePoint, CDS or SQL

—-
Please Accept as Solution if this post answered your question so others can find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Philip2

Thanks a lot for the replies!

The maximum row limit is defenitely exceeded, I have about 6.000 customers in the list. The number of people accessing the list is around 20.

Would a solution be to upload the table into a Sharepoint list, and connect with Powerapps to this list?

mdevaney
Level 8

@Philip2 

Yes, Sharepoint is a much better solution when considering the quantity of customers and users.  Run away from Excel and don't look backwards in this situation!  Cat Happy

Sharepoint has a SQL-based backend so its built to handle many users and performs well with medium-sized datasets (such as your customer list).

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Philip2

Great, thanks for the advice. I will then create a Sharepoint list from the Excel table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 177 members 5,748 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: