cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lucas
Level: Powered On

Can you set a format for the AutoNumber in you CDS?

Hello,

I'm working with a Purchase Order entity  from my CDS that is conected to my app, that entity has previuos data created by microsoft and their AutoNumber format was "PO001". When I started to add data to it I saw the AutoNumber format change to "Pur000001".

I was wondering if there is a way to control or manipulate this format ?

Also, I wanted to match this AutoNumber in the existing records to the codification we already have and let the AutoNumber keep the sequence for the new orders.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Can you set a format for the AutoNumber in you CDS?

Hi @Lucas

In my personal opinion there are two things in PowerApps that should be used only if very little customisation is required: forms and standard entities.  This is because as soon as you want to do any real customisation, then it is much easier to start from zero.

In your case, I would create a custom entity.  You can then set the prefix of the PrimaryId to be PO, altough you will still see 6 digits after the prefix, so "PO000001".  You can always show the shortened version in PowerApps by chopping out three zeros with a Substitute, something like this:

Substitute(ThisItem.PrimaryId, "000", "")

You can use your existing codification by opening the entity in Excel and copy-pasting the exisintg codification (but with 6 digits) in the PrimaryId column.  I have tested in the past and it worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @Lucas

In my personal opinion there are two things in PowerApps that should be used only if very little customisation is required: forms and standard entities.  This is because as soon as you want to do any real customisation, then it is much easier to start from zero.

In your case, I would create a custom entity.  You can then set the prefix of the PrimaryId to be PO, altough you will still see 6 digits after the prefix, so "PO000001".  You can always show the shortened version in PowerApps by chopping out three zeros with a Substitute, something like this:

Substitute(ThisItem.PrimaryId, "000", "")

You can use your existing codification by opening the entity in Excel and copy-pasting the exisintg codification (but with 6 digits) in the PrimaryId column.  I have tested in the past and it worked.

View solution in original post

Lucas
Level: Powered On

Hi @Meneghino,

Thank you for the information on the prefix, also, the substitue function is a great alternative to shortened the 6 digits number.

Highlighted
ENE
Level: Power Up

Substitute does not work as it can be implemented for Text field only, but not for INT.

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @ENE

The PrimaryId field in CDS is a text field, I believe.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,376)