cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jhall
Level 8

Cannot pass parameter to PowerApp inside Teams Tab

This is one of those that's got me really wondering what I'm not grok'ing.  

• You can link to a PowerApp directly and pass along inline parameters: https://...&test=true
  • You can add a PowerApp Tab to a Channel in Teams (or similarly a link to a website the same as the item above)
  • You can create a link to the PowerApp Tab and post it back to said Team (and click/open the PowerApp within Teams)
  • (It appears that) You cannot send inline parameters via a MS Teams Tab link (that aren't expected)

I've looked through the Deep Link documentation and peeled apart the URL that Teams generates for an App.  However, there just doesn't appear to be a way I can manipulate that URL to include dynamic parameters.

Adding it into the value of the "canvasUrl" that is passed to Teams as an extra parameter to the defaults just gets it ignored. Worth noting, the "canvasURL" is encoded but once you decode it, it essentially reads as:  "https:\\apps.powerapps.com\play\providers\Microsoft.PowerApps\apps\your_app_id?screenColor=rgba(0, 176, 240, 1)&source=teamstab&locale={locale}".  Dropping an encoded variable into the front/middle/end of this doesn't work and the variable just gets ignored (but everything else works fine).

There are several entries into the Teams UserVoice requesting this, so it seems like it can't be done.  However, I wanted to ask here before I just punt and open things outside of Teams (via a direct link to the PowerApp vs. the PowerApp hosted within a Teams-Channel-Tab).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Cannot pass parameter to PowerApp inside Teams Tab

Hi @jhall ,

I agree that this cannot be achieved so far. Since the issue should be on the Teams side, you could vote and comment in the UserVoice channel.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Cannot pass parameter to PowerApp inside Teams Tab

Hi @jhall ,

I agree that this cannot be achieved so far. Since the issue should be on the Teams side, you could vote and comment in the UserVoice channel.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,727)