cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gh1
Level: Powered On

Cannot remove selected item from dropdown fields

Hi,

I cannot remove selected items from many of my dropdown fields. I'm using SharePoint list as my data source.

Steps:

1. Edit form

2. Click field with a previously saved value

3. Remove field item by using the "x" so no items are displayed

4. Save form

Expected: the record in SharePoint list no longer contains a value

Actual: the record in SharePoint list still contains a value. 😞

Dropdown fields that I'm using where this is not working: 1) Choice 2) Lookup 3) Person/Group (single item)

Dropdown fields that I'm using that do work:  1) Person/Group (multiple items)

I've seen others with similar issues, some had workarounds, however none are ideal. Is this really a bug? Seems like foundational functionality. If it is a bug, is there a way to view if this has been reported and see the status of a fix?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joshnystrom
Level 8

Re: Cannot remove selected item from dropdown fields

Hi @RandyHayes and @LRVinNC,

Just got a chance to read through your conversation. I'm going to poke my nose in, see if we can't spoil this sauce. Smiley Wink

@LRVinNC, the first thing that jumps to my mind is "Formula-level error management". I apologize if something in what you wrote was already meaning to clarify that no such features are enabled. Otherwise, could you see if your working app is using this feature?
FLEM.JPG

In my travels, that was what I found to be enhancing PowerApps null-setting capabilities for the most stubborn field types:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Update-blank-Null-value-to-fields-Date-User-C...

Hope this helps! If this isn't at play, I'm quite keen to learn what else you may have uncovered.

Cheers,

Josh

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Check that the data card in your form is properly connected to the Sharepoint list and, most importantly that your Update attibute is set correctly.  It will need to contain the name of the data card value field on your form which will contain the modified result.  In this example, I am updating a Sharepoint field called StatusBudget.  That field is connected to the data card dcPEBudget.  Within that data card is the dropdown which is called dcvPEBudget.  It is this field, dcvPEBudget, that must be listed in the Update attribute for the data card, dcPEBudget.
Update2.jpg

Super User
Super User

@gh1 

In addition to @LRVinNC's suggestion.  I was reading your posting as though you might be wanting to set these columns to nothing.  What clued me on to that was you said "Person/Group (Single Item)".  The single item part made me think that perhaps you're trying to set a column back to nothing/blank by removing the item from the ComboBox selection.

If that is the case, that's not currently supported out of the box.  In fact, it's quite difficult to do even without PowerApps.  BUT, @joshnystrom did some great investigation work on this and there was a conversation in this recent posting.

So, if your need was to "clear out" one of these complex columns, then you might have a read over that article and see if that provides some additional thoughts for you.

I hope that is helpful.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
gh1

Thanks for the quick responses.

@RandyHayes  - You are correct that I am trying to remove values. I have no problem removing the value in SharePoint. I only have the issue in PowerApps and I need a solution that works in PowerApps. I will look into the link you shared, but ideally I am not looking for a workaround. It seems like this is a defect in PowerApps, but I don't know if it's been reported or how I can report it. 

@LRVinNC  - My Update property is set correctly. As stated above, this only occurs when I am trying to remove values. I am able to set a new value as long as there is an item selected. When the item is removed and no item is selected, it simply retains the last saved value. 

Super User
Super User

I just tested and I AM able to remove values from my dropdowns and have them saved correctly in my SP list, so it is clearly not a bug.  Can you post a screen shot of the relevant fields and attributes so we have a little more detail to work with?

Super User
Super User

@gh1 

How have you found to clear a value in SharePoint?  The only way I've found is with QuickEdit.  The default edit form on a list does not allow you to clear a value.  As for the "bug" aspect of this.  I believe if you take a search through the forum, you'll find a few postings on this issue with an acknowledgement from Microsoft on it.  There are a slew of Ideas on this on the Ideas board.  You're certainly welcome to go there and search for one you like and vote on it.

In the meantime, there are the workarounds.

@LRVinNC  Are you able to clear out a person from a single person column?  Or a lookup item?  These are all assuming a column that does not allow multi selections.  Ironically enough, you CAN clear all the values from a complex column that allows multi selections.  I just ran my test on it again and it seems to still be an issue.  Curious what you're seeing.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Super User
Super User

@RandyHayes I tested both with a single person column and a single-select choice field.  Both allowed me to clear the value and updated SP to empty fields.  I haven't tested with a lookup column as I will have to manufacture that scenario. The other two occur naturally in the app I'm currently working on so they were very easy to test.

Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC  hmmm, I'm intrigued.  I just did a little test on a list.  Single select person column.  Also a choice column.  I was able to clear the choice column.  But, the single select person, I was able to clear, but after the submit form, the value was back.  All setup was out of the box.  No alterations.  Strange.

gh1

I created a new app & SharePoint list and did the same test, however after clearing the values in the form and submitting changes, both the Choice and Person fields went back. No changes to the data cards or field properties. 

Super User
Super User

@RandyHayes Here's a bit of illustration, just FYI.Personfield.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,447)