cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielaH
Level 8

Capturing barcodes

Hello all,

I am planning on using the barcode scanner functionality within my app, however need some help with this:

App users will have barcode scanners to scan several items in quick succession. Each barcode should be captured, in a way that makes the user experience as easy as possible.

I see two options here, any suggestions would be highly appreciated:

1. Concatenate scanned barcodes to generate a string like “2766610; 2766612; 2766614” ... how would I write the syntax to do that?
  2. Capture each barcode in a separate textbox (as shown below). This is problematic for user experience though since the user needs to select each text entry field before being able to scan the barcode… unless there is a way to automatically jump to another text entry field?

Overall I am also open to other ideas! 🙂

Barcodes.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanielaH
Level 8

Re: Capturing barcodes

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I also found another way, in which the user needs to select a text input field only once before scanning multiple barcodes in quick succession. Then I patch the entry and replace the carriage return character with ";" to create a string containing all scanned barcodes: 

barcode.JPG

Patch(Collection, First(Collection), 
{Barcodes: Substitute(Barcode.Text, Char(10), Char(59)&" ")})

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

The Barcode Scanner won't save the scannedstring automatically, so a button is needed to collect the actual string, once the number is stable, we can click the button to collect it.

Under the OnSelect property of the button, input the formula below:

Collect(BarcodeList, {Number:Barcode1.Text})

This formula would collect every single click with the button to a record, so there might be blank or the wrong values collected.

Once done, you may use the concat () function to combine those string into one single string:

For example:

Concat( BarcodeList, Number&";" )

Some more readings about the Barcode control:

Create a barcode scanning app in minutes

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DanielaH
Level 8

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I also found another way, in which the user needs to select a text input field only once before scanning multiple barcodes in quick succession. Then I patch the entry and replace the carriage return character with ";" to create a string containing all scanned barcodes: 

barcode.JPG

Patch(Collection, First(Collection), 
{Barcodes: Substitute(Barcode.Text, Char(10), Char(59)&" ")})

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,998)